numb falling asleep legs and hands

venusdoll
on 3/5/11 11:43 am - massena, NY
hi  i had my ds dec7,2010.   lately i've been feeling light headed  even almost fainted the other day.  my hands feet legs etc fall asleep all the time too.  it stared about a month ago my legs and feet would fall asleep while im sitting on the toilet  now its everywhere .   i go numb in weird places. has this happened to anyone else??    this never happened to me before my surgrey.     thanks annette
(deactivated member)
on 3/5/11 1:59 pm - San Jose, CA

Well, my legs and feet ALWAYS fall asleep if I sit on the toilet too long.  That's my sign that I need to get up, whether I'm done or not (kinda like the smoke alarm being my timer when I cook).

The rest of it sounds like low blood pressure to me.  But it doesn't matter what I or anyone else thinks - fainting or almost fainting requires a doctor's appointment.  Go.

Lynda D.
on 3/5/11 3:28 pm
I agree with Diana, go to your doctor asap and get your blood drawn while you're there.

I don't think having your legs fall asleep while sitting on the toilet is something to worry about. The same thing happens to me. It's just a nerve in your leg getting pinched by the edge of the toilet seat. No big deal.

Feeling lightheaded could be from not enough iron (Are you cold a lot too? Have your nails flattened or developed funky ridges?), or dehydration, which could contribute to low blood volume. That's just a couple of reasons. Your doctor can help you more.

The numbness sounds almost like a B12 deficiency. Maybe someone here can correct me, but I think numbness can occur with deficiencies of other minerals and electrolytes as well.

I don't have a DS at this point, but I have had the RNY. When I get strange symptoms like numbness, fatigue, etc., the first thing I look to is my nutrition. We have to keep that foremost in our minds. We WLS patients are all experiencing our own personal famines, you know.

Lynda

First Surgery Date: November 5, 2005
Surgery Type: RNY--Proximal
Height: 5' 3"
Beginning Weight: 250 lbs.
Lowest Weight: 125 lbs.
Current Weight: 230 lbs. Seeking Revision to DS

J G.
on 3/6/11 2:33 am
 Have your nails flattened or developed funky ridges?)

Lynda, do the funky ridges run parallel to the cuticle or long-wise on the nail?

Thanks, Jenny
MsBatt
on 3/6/11 3:53 am
You should have had one-year labs drawn in December. Can you post your results?

In the meantime---GO TO THE DOCTOR. NOW.
venusdoll
on 3/9/11 3:57 am - massena, NY
thanks everyone  im getting blood drawn this week  my doctor thinks it could be my bought with the flu the week before but just in case 
Lynne
on 3/6/11 4:33 am - Macon, GA
Ditto to the above posts.  I had a bout with malnutrition and developed peripheral neuropathy.  The nerve endings had begun to wither and die.  This was in Nov 2010.  I still have very numb hands and feet that are actually very painful...lol I know numb and pain is hard to explain but it does.  My neurologist predicts that I should return to normal (didn't tell him I have NEVER been normal...lol) in about a year to a year and a half.

I told you all this because if you are not getting enough protein and vites this could be "a" cause.

GO to the doctor and make sure.

Lynne
Highest 330,    Surgery 297,     Goal 140.     Current 130
First Dr visit - 330 -
BMI 58.4,    Surgery - 297  BMI 52.6
01/24/2011 - 196 BMI 34.7 (ONEderland YEAH!!!),                 ...GeorgiaPink
08/10/2011 Reached GOAL Baby! 140 BMI 24.0                           is my Angel.
08/24/2011
- 139 BMI 23.8 One Year Anniversary 

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 227 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 723 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 243 views