Does anyone know of a protein bar that doesn't give you gas?!!

mrsannie
on 3/25/11 9:47 pm
I can't really stomach shakes so I need a good alternative, but every bar I have ever tried has given me gas!  Or a decent tasting pudding or any other protein source.

Anyone try those crunchy snacks that are available on the Bariatric eating websites?

Thanks!

Nothing will change if you don't have the courage to change it!
      And stop calling me "Shirley!"    
sbp7
on 3/25/11 10:15 pm - Munster, IN
I have the same issue with protein shakes and bars. I am hoping that over time this will.change. I have to eat so much and so often every day to get in enough protein. It would be so mice to just eat a bar or a shake a few times a day.
Steve

Duodenal Switch January 4, 2011
Dr. Vivek Prachand. University of Chicago Hospital

P. Poster
on 3/25/11 10:22 pm, edited 3/25/11 10:38 pm
 This really is a YMMV thing....  I can't even smell an Atkins bar or I'm fartogenic!  I have been using the Supreme Protein bars and they don't seem to give me issues.  They are a bit higher in carbs (even the carb conscious ones I use have 7g net carbs), but they also have 30g protein per bar and they taste YUMMY!  These have pretty high sugar alcohols though, so if those bother you, these wouldn't work.  I've tried 3 of their bars, and all of them were awesome.  Here is their website:

www.supremeprotein.com/products.html

OH, totally forgot- Vitalady's bars did not cause me issues either & all of hers were really tasty.  My fave was the lemon one, OM NOM NOM!  I just wish I could get them easier :(  

Julie R.
on 3/25/11 10:32 pm - Ludington, MI
 Wow, that's funny with the YMMV thing - Supreme Protein give me HORRID gas, LOL.   It's a shame, because they are one of the few decent protein bars that are also readily available to me in my ya-hoo neck of the woods.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Julie R.
on 3/25/11 10:36 pm - Ludington, MI
 1)  Power Crunch bars; 2) Power Crunch bars; 3) Power Crunch bars.     I can't say enough good things about them - except that I wish they were a bit higher in protein.  They come in several super yummy flavors.   They are more like a wafer cookie than a bar.   I just don't like those super artificially sweet ooey gooey ones (like Detour).     I order them through Vitacost or Amazon, but if you have a Trader Joe's in your area, last time I went (which was last summer) they had them there for super cheap.

kjfras
on 3/26/11 1:43 am - North Lauderdale, FL
Julie - you got me addicted to those Power Crunch bars!!!  I'm absolutely in LOVE with the Wild Berry one!!!  I eat one almost every day for breakfast....although 14g of protein is kind of low it's a good supplement for people like me who can't do the shakes and don't have time to make breakfast in the morning before work!

Thanks for suggesting these awhile back - I owe you one!!

Kerry J                   Stillhopefull (Terry) is my Angel!!!! 
                                                    Angel to Baylady35310 (Linda)
7/9/01 RNY - 354 HW down to 192 LW
12/6/10 DS Revision - GW 170
DS HW 353
DS SW 332

DS CW 184 (-148 since surgery / -169 total) 

Plastics completed by Dr.Sauceda in MX 8/9/13 - LBL w anchor cut, long thigh lift, breast lift, butt augmentation and arm lift.               

Julie R.
on 3/26/11 1:55 am - Ludington, MI
 I figure it this way - it's the same protein as two eggs!

Kayla B.
on 3/25/11 10:37 pm - Austin, TX
I like the following bars, all of which still have the possibility of causing gas:

Atkins daybreak (the apple or cinnamon bun ones are my fave)
PowerCrunch
Oh yeah wafers
vitalady's brand

It's really a toss up.  They either have flour in them, tons of fiber, or tons of sugar alcohols...all of which can cause gas.  Just have to find out with one has ingredients that are least offensive to you.

This is just my opinion, but I don't see bars as being a replacement for shakes.  Shakes are good because they don't take up a lot of room and are easy on the stomach for the amount of protein they have in them.  If you eat a bar, I mean, why not just eat food?  Cheese or beef jerky have just as much or more protein in them...
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
mrsannie
on 3/25/11 10:57 pm
That's true I guess, why not go with something that I know will not give me "issues," but sometimes you just need something a lttle different, ya know!

Maybe I should investigate a different alternative.

Thanks!

Nothing will change if you don't have the courage to change it!
      And stop calling me "Shirley!"    
Ms. Cal Culator
on 3/26/11 2:15 am - Tuvalu
On March 26, 2011 at 5:37 AM Pacific Time, Kayla B. wrote:
I like the following bars, all of which still have the possibility of causing gas:

Atkins daybreak (the apple or cinnamon bun ones are my fave)
PowerCrunch
Oh yeah wafers
vitalady's brand

It's really a toss up.  They either have flour in them, tons of fiber, or tons of sugar alcohols...all of which can cause gas.  Just have to find out with one has ingredients that are least offensive to you.

This is just my opinion, but I don't see bars as being a replacement for shakes.  Shakes are good because they don't take up a lot of room and are easy on the stomach for the amount of protein they have in them.  If you eat a bar, I mean, why not just eat food?  Cheese or beef jerky have just as much or more protein in them...

"This is just my opinion, but I don't see bars as being a replacement for shakes. "

I am one who, apparently, cannot do shakes.  EVERY.SINGLE.SHAKE.I.HAVE.TRIED causes me gas.  I'm pretty much done trying.  The only liquid protein I can use that doesn't make me sick is the stuff in tubes, which all the "experts" tell me is not as good a protein as I can find in a shake.  Tell ya' what...it's a better protein than nothing...which is where I am now.

And SOME of VitaLady's bars have no sugar alcohols, but I have four boxes of Chocolate Marshmallow bars sitting in my cupboard because AFTER I ordered them and ate one and started getting sick, I saw that they contain "malitol syrup."  (The Lemon Bars don't...the Chocoate Marshmallow bars do.)

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 246 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 732 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 244 views