Narrowing of the stomach (pyloric stenosis apparently) and stomach stretching

lisarn
on 4/12/11 5:05 am - Omaha, NE
 I work in the GI dept. and there are different reasons that the pyloris can be narrowed or have stenosis. May or may not be related to surgery. But either way, the way to treat it is to have it dilated or "stretched" as needed. Some people are a couple times of year, others only need to have it done every few years. Initially, though, it usually done more often because they want to make sure to get it opened and don't want to do it too much and cause more damage, and to see long the results remain. 
It is really just about 5 minutes added onto a normal 2 or 3 minute upper endoscopy (or EGD). Sometimes it can take longer if it is narrowed down to nearly closed. 
Basically a small tiny catheter is place through the scope and once the tip is place in the pyloris a small balloon is inflated and stretches the pyloris. The balloon stays inflated for only one minute at a time and can be reinflated a few times. They don't want to fully stretch it at time usually. Depending on why it's stenosed, they don't to cause any rips in the tissue. There are different size's of balloons that gradually get bigger and bigger and each balloon can be filled to 3 different sizes (we are talking measurements in cm's here, not big size difference).
There really isn't anyway to see these clearly without doing an upper GI scope (or Upper endoscopy or EGD -- all are the same thing).
If you have questions about this (or other GI procedures), just ask or pm me!
I'm glad they got you diagnosed!
Lisa
HW/SW/CW/GW:   294/288/170.2/150  ht: 5'2" (06/03/2012)

Ms. Cal Culator
on 4/12/11 7:03 am - Tuvalu

Yes...this is NOT a pleasant experience, however...I think I'd rather have my pyloris dilated than my urethra...again.
Jolly Rancher
on 4/12/11 7:54 am
Sounds like a stricture to me. I had one, and was dilated a good 4-5 times, once even awake. I still deal with food issues, I could probably use another scope. I wouldn't worry about the stretching of your stomach. The reason for multiple scopes, as I understand it, is so they don't push too far the first time, and rip your stomach tissue. That would be WAY worse than having mulitple scopes!!! 
Janice

320/170/150
SW/CW/GW
KellyJTn
on 4/12/11 10:55 pm - Oak Ridge, TN
I had a stricture at 2 months out and had a balloon dilation to have it stretched back out. I've been fine ever since. I haven't had a need for a 2nd stretching at all. I do keep an eye on things though.  I had nausea, vomitted etc for a prolonged period of time also. After the dilation, I was perfectly fine. :)

~Kelly ~   
SW 364/CW 164/GW 150             

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 269 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 744 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 250 views