****!

Janine P.
on 4/29/11 1:29 am - Long Island, NY
Guys, my throat feels like I swallowed razors and I have a post-nasal drip.  I *must* avoid a full-blown cold because my surgery is in 4 days.

Any suggestions on what I can do?  So far I'm drinking loads of hot tea and I took 2 doses of DayQuil.

Janine   Me on Youtube 

Julie R.
on 4/29/11 1:36 am - Ludington, MI
Real, honest-to-goodness pseudoephedrine (Sudafed or its generic) the kind that you get behind the counter at the pharmacy these days, is the ONLY effective medication, IMO.    Also, if you can get your hand on a lozenge called Fishermen's Friend, it works better on sore throats and post-nasal drip than anything I know, and trust me, I've tried 'em all.   Feel better soon, hun!
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Janine P.
on 4/29/11 1:40 am - Long Island, NY
Thank you! I'll go out on my lunch hour and pick up Sudafed at CVS.  Not sure if I can get those lozenges - I looked up a picture of the packaging and I've never seen them on Long Island but I'll see what I can find.

Janine   Me on Youtube 

Julie R.
on 4/29/11 1:50 am - Ludington, MI
But, aren't there lots of Fishermen on Long Island?   

Emily F.
on 4/29/11 2:36 am
On April 29, 2011 at 8:36 AM Pacific Time, Julie R. wrote:
Real, honest-to-goodness pseudoephedrine (Sudafed or its generic) the kind that you get behind the counter at the pharmacy these days, is the ONLY effective medication, IMO.    Also, if you can get your hand on a lozenge called Fishermen's Friend, it works better on sore throats and post-nasal drip than anything I know, and trust me, I've tried 'em all.   Feel better soon, hun!
 Are you suppose to take that that close to surgery?? I would call the doc and ask. For some reason I'm thinking there are some meds like aspirin you shouldn't take close to surgery, I would doublecheck before taking it.
Janine P.
on 4/29/11 2:41 am - Long Island, NY
Em, I'm scared to call my doctor because I'm scared they'll cancel my surgery immediately.  I don't know what to do.

Janine   Me on Youtube 

Julie R.
on 4/29/11 3:29 am - Ludington, MI
I think Sudafed is okay - I knw aspirin, motrin and Vitamin E are not, but you're right, she absolutely should call the doc to clear this.

teachmid
on 4/29/11 1:53 am - OKC, OK
Zinc lozenges and drink tons of water. I remember being really worried about that the last few days before surgery.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

gak
on 4/29/11 3:08 am
Revision on 06/21/13
Instead of calling your surgeon, call your PCP and ask and beg for an antibiotic as well. They are safe before surgery and they should be supportive. Hurry and call, it's Friday, some docs close earlier on Fridays.

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

Janine P.
on 4/29/11 3:37 am - Long Island, NY
Ginger, I have an appointment with my PCP on Monday for surgical clearence and I'm scared that if I tell her I've got the beginnings of a cold, she won't clear me.

Janine   Me on Youtube 

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 114 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 658 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 234 views