Multi-vitamin and ADEK

blairez1
on 2/2/12 5:01 am
Has anyone tried the SourceCF mulitvitamin soft gel with ADEK and zinc? Are you getting enough ADEK? I absolutely hate all of the chewable multivitamins I've tried and a friend of mine recommended I try this one. Plus it would be great to only take 1 pill instead of 2. I'm not even sure if I can take a soft gel after surgery.

bugirll
on 2/2/12 5:26 am - MD
DS on 03/19/12
The ADEKs need to be in the dry form.  "Soft gel" implies it is in the wet form.  Also, from what I could read, it looks in adequate.  Start with Vitalady's recommendations and tweak according to lab work.  https://vitalady.com/

This is a link to her recommendations

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4103619/VitaLadys-Jan-2 010-DS-Plan-amp-Shopping-List-OH-Formatting/
DS with Toon Sonneville 3/19/12
Sher Bear Mama
on 2/2/12 5:53 am, edited 2/1/12 6:01 pm
I know someone who can answer this question. See my signature.

Sher--the bear mama

Valerie G.
on 2/2/12 6:13 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 Since we malabsorb fat, you want to avoid gel infused vitamins.  There shouldn't be any reason why you cannot swallow a pill though.  I've been doing them since I got home.  At first, it was only one at a time, but now I do 4 at a time.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

beemerbeeper
on 2/2/12 6:16 am - AL
I'm a Smith DSer too.  I got on Vita Lady's plan once I realized that HIS crap plan was going to kill me.

You need to be able to individually adjust your ADE and K based on your labs.  And no, there isn't enough ADEKs in a multi to work.  And you don't have to take chewable anything unless you want to.

Vita Lady is the way to go...you start on her plan then you individually adjust your program based on your labs.  (NOT the labs he would have you get but the FULL labs that she lists.)

www.gblcreations.com/Resources/Gina/ProgramDRNY_ERNY_BPDDS3- 2010.pdf

docs.google.com/Doc

Be your own self-advocate and take care of yourself.  I get my labs done and send him a copy.  He usually tells me to decrease something or other and I get my lab advice from the lab gurus that are now on the new proboard forum.

~Becky

(deactivated member)
on 2/2/12 6:48 am, edited 2/1/12 6:50 pm
You would have to add additional D and A for sure and maybe others.

Source CF only has 800ius of D per tablet and most DSer's need 50,000ius or more per day.

They really are a poor source of vitamins for a DSer. The Aquadeks are a softgel, I believe but still water miscible so they are the correct form but not the correct amounts.

Why do you need to have a chewable?
blairez1
on 2/2/12 9:28 am
Thanks for all of the advice! Just checked out Vitalady's list and it is CRAZY. That is a whole lot of pill popping through out the day. I see a lot of people on here using her plan so I'm guessing it works. Is it possible to adjust some of them? For example, I have pernicious anemia so sublingual B-12 doesn't do anything for me. I'll be taking shots for the rest of my life....would I need the pill on top of that? I'm also having issues with absorbing iron...having my first iron infusion tomorrow. Why don't our bariatric doctors tell us that we need all of these extra supplements? I've been told a chewable multi twice a day, a chewable ADEK, 1500g of calcium and thats it. Why such discrepancies? Also, how often do most of you get your labs done? Do you see your bariatric doctor or your PCP? My surgery is in 2 weeks so I just want to make sure I have everything in order prior to.

beemerbeeper
on 2/2/12 9:48 am - AL
You need to have a very educated pcp and hematologist since you are going into the DS with these issues.  Dr Smith is a GREAT cutter and his patients tend to do VERY well.  Very few (if any) complications and great weight loss.  But honestly that vitamin plan is suicide.

The vites you need will be determined by your labs.  VitaLady's starting point is tried and true and there are TONS of folks who can attest to the fact that it is easier to adjust down than to try to bring up labs that have tanked.

I take six calcium/magnesium doses a day.  That is more than her plan but it works for me.  I go by my labs.

I got labs every 3 months for the first two years and then went to every 6 months.  If everything is cool I will stay at every six months for life.  And please note.  Smith does not order all the labs you need.  I wrote my OWN lab slip and I get my pcp to sign off on it and I send a copy of the labs to Smith.

I'm aggressive with my vites and labs because I've seen what happens when folks aren't. 

But if you decide to start with his plan there are folks (mostly on the new forum) who will help you try to bring your labs up once they tank.

~Becky

(deactivated member)
on 2/2/12 10:58 am, edited 2/2/12 10:59 am
 So if you have pernicious anemia then you will do your B-12 like you have done before, the same with the iron, if you need the infusions then that is what you need to do.

Most surgeons do not understand what a DS patient need in the long term. They are surgeons, and most nutritionists seem to assume that all rearranged intestines are like the RNY and will give advice accordingly. So here you are then, with a surgeon that had maybe one hour of nutrition and vitamin needs while he/she went to medical school and a NUT that has no idea what a "real" DS patient needs. 

So..... you can go with their advice.................and take a big risk 
or
you can go with Vitalady..... someone that has lived with malabsorbtion for many years, has access to companies to get tablets/capsules made to our/your need, someone that has researched like crazy to get the best in supplements for herself, her husband and us lucky people, because we don't have to do all that research. She did it for us. 

So, I hope all goes well for you, whatever you decide. Just keep in mind it's your health you are messing with.

(deactivated member)
on 2/2/12 11:56 am
Most surgeons are just that..cutters. Most of them do not have good aftercare. 

A "normie" should have 1200mgs of calcium a day. 

You really need to get on Vitalady's plan. Just leave out the B12 and the Iron.   Put all your labs into a spreadsheet so you can see what is trending down and adjust your vites.  As a DSer, you want to be on the high end of normal.

If you follow the advice you have gotten you will be in huge trouble.

Come to the site in my signature line.  Most of the vets are there and can help.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 291 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 763 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 254 views