Can you get pregnant-LADIES

BROWNEYES_24
on 10/10/12 11:56 pm
I was wondering after having the DS surgery can woman still become pregnant after this, I do not have kids at this time but would like to have them one day. I don't want to have a surgery that will prevent me from havinf children... Ladies please tell me what you know about this..

Much thanks,
Valerie G.
on 10/11/12 12:33 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 You can get pregnant after any wls, however it's highly recommended that you wait a year or so.  You'll have to pay special attention to nutrition, but there are several post op DS babies out there.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

TaliTali
on 10/11/12 3:05 am - Sammamish, WA
 It's easier to get pregnant at a normal weight as well. Many obese women struggle with getting pregnant and that changes when the weight is gone. I highly recommend a reliable form of birth control (IUD, shots).

HW ~ SW ~ CW
310 - 291 - 150

candessg
on 10/11/12 3:43 am - plymouth, MN
 I was told before having my DS that I wouldn't be able to have children due to hormonal issues. I now have my own little "DS Baby".  You must must must wait at least one year before getting pregnant, or preferably 2..I waited two and still had a very complicated pregnancy..Making sure that your labs are in great shape before you get pregnant is extremely important! 

Best wishes!
determineddanni
on 10/11/12 4:05 am

my surgeon said that i should wait till i am done losing weight and preferably 15-18 months post op. he also said that post-op babies have been healthier than pre-op babies, because you will not be MO and you will be in better health.

i have heard consistantly that some dser's have trouble breast feeding.

i have not had children but as soon as i am at a steady weight, my labs are good, and my 15 months has passed. i will be trying to get pregnant:)

HW 259          SW 256          CW 141       GW 150

JazzyOne9254
on 10/11/12 9:54 am

Encouraging you...but take it a step at a time.  You've got a couple years work ahead of you, judging from your "to do" list above! 

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

determineddanni
on 10/11/12 11:00 am
yea i imagine i won't be truely getting pregnant till probably 2015 or 2016. got a lot on my plate:)

HW 259          SW 256          CW 141       GW 150

JazzyOne9254
on 10/11/12 10:42 am, edited 10/11/12 10:43 am

Actually, I had a talk with a DS vet, who said that when *any* bariatric surgery was done, back when it was first coming out of the experimental phase, doctors used to tell women *not* to plan on having more children, or any at all...because of the nutritional implications. 

That's old medicine...doctors and dietitians know more about these surgeries now, and can make sure both Mom and baby come through healthy!

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

galla1
on 10/11/12 7:54 pm
I'm a Prego DSer.. My pregnancy was rough the first few months and I lost weight... But now I'm feeling great! I'm 22 weeks along. I also had a baby Pre- DS.. I was sick for 7 months straight! Soo I would have to say this pregnancy is going much better.. I pay close attention to my body and so far everything is excellent with the baby. I was right at 1 year post op.. And was pretty much at my goal. My surgeon felt I was in a good position to be pregnant, If I did it over I would have waited a little longer.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 258 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 738 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 247 views