Vitamin gurus needed

Babydoll25
on 3/26/13 6:50 am - White Lake Township, MI

Hey everyone. FINALLY got some of my results from Dr. Kemmeter's Office. The lab has YET to send my copy to me. I did call they are resending it so I do not have a complete list what I do have is this...

Hemoglobin 8.4 range 12-16 

The PA recommended I have an infusion. Is this necessary? I currently take one proferrin daily. As that's all i have needed until now. 

Vitamin A is 37  range 38-106.

I currently take 100k IU dry Vit A daily (vitalady) PA recommended going up to 125k iu daily.

Vitamin D 37

PA said this is just fine. I know it is not just fine for a DSer. I currently take 50k iu daily. Thinking I am going to up this to 100k iu daily and see where I am at in 3 months.

So far this is all I have. 

Any info would be appreciated. Hopefully I get my lab sheet soon. Dr. K's office said those are the only areas of concern. But their "good" levels and my Idea of good levels are a bit different. I KNOW how hard it is to fight back to normal levels once you've tanked. 

*Heather*                 

MajorMom
on 3/26/13 7:18 am - VA

One Proferrin a day and no Tender or other iron to go with it?  You'll need to see all your iron markers and maybe a referral to a hematologist that understands our malabsorption. You don't want one that recommends ferrous sulfate and sends you on your way.

I brought my iron up with 300 mg of Tender iron (carbonyl) mid afternoon away from everything else and 2 Proferrin tablets each snapped into 2 pieces at bedtime. It took a year to bring it up using oral supplements only.

Go up to 100,000 IUs of D3 a day. You can also try taking at least one capsule away from all your food and other vitamins...maybe during the middle of the night if you get up to pee.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Babydoll25
on 3/26/13 9:29 am - White Lake Township, MI

Thanks Gina :) I'm not opposed to having the infusion. If it can bring me up quickly. But if I have to fight with Dr's about giving it to me not so sure it's worth it. Dr. K's office will get me scheduled for them ASAP but that 2.5 hours one way. That really doesn't sound ideal. Of course if it is a must I will do it. I just am not so sure on how low 8.4 is. From what I am getting online it's low but not LOW. Some are saying Dr's will infuse at 9 others are saying not till 6. Guess it all depends on the Dr. What I do know is i feel run down. I knew my Iron was in the toilet before I got the call. 

I will defiantly add more supplements asap. 

*Heather*                 

Valerie G.
on 3/26/13 8:51 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I'm liking your thinking on the A and D increases

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

A. C
on 3/26/13 1:27 pm

I am taknig 100000 units of D a day.  Just be sure when you run your next labs to run a full kidney function panel.

I don't worry about the Iron.  I will do infusions when necessary.

For me, it works better to take it with other Vits (C & Multi).  When I started doing this, my A is going up.

PattiCan
on 3/27/13 1:50 am - Camden County, NJ

You might want to take your D and A separate by an hour or so... and take one of the D 50,000 at night on an empty stomach or in the middle of the night if you get up every night.  I agree with Gina about adding other types of iron in the meantime, but go for the infusion if your insurance will cover it, it will help it go up much more quickly than taking oral iron..  I take lots of iron to keep mine up, but with the malabsorption and other issues that I have, I will probably have to be going for infusion as well... and I take iron at least twice a day, keep an eye on copper and zinc to make sure they are in balance as well.

It would be good if you could tell us your serum iron, your TIBC, UIBC, ferritin and iron saturation levels as well as your copper and zinc levels too.  And always make sure that your multi has no iron in it if you take it with calcium... funny how vits without iron cost more money, right?  Iron and Calcium compete for absorption as do the copper and zinc.  

Look forward to more info.  Take a friend with you on your 2.5 hour journey, they might have to drive you home, always better to be prepared, just in case.

Crazeru
on 3/27/13 10:12 am

When Julie was having all her problem with Vit D, my A & D kept sliding down and I was taking 150k-200k - and 75k of A, a day, but with my other vits and food.  When I switched to the middle of the night, my levels for my A & D came up to very high in less than 3 mo.  I cut back to 1-50k, and 1-25k of A, D and my E at night with a calcium dose.  Taking 6 doses of calicum a day, was difficult, but I get at least two during the night and when I get up, 3 while I'm at work.  It works for me.

You really need your numbers for TIBC and ferritin.  Ferritin in the single digits, go for your infusion.  Before my last PS, I was taking Proferrin in the morning and at night, and cut back to just at night at 4 weeks out. 

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 258 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 738 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 247 views