I have a question????????

MS.LISA
on 3/28/13 12:42 pm - Salem, OR

I have the sleeve and I have bile reflex and I might have to get the bypass surgery and I was wondering any one had to do this and if they could get the DS instead of the bypass????

I wish I would have got the DS cause I am a carb freak and I have gained 25 lbs because of it .. 

I would love some feed back on this...

Thank you!

jzwife
on 3/28/13 3:34 pm

I am a revision- RNY to a DS. I wish I would have had the opportunity to have the DS first. There seem to be so many issues with the RNY. For me I would definately get the DS over the bypass.

BiscuitNYC
on 3/28/13 3:46 pm - NYC, NY
DS on 01/23/13

I would think that with the structure of the RYN stomach that it would put additional pressure against a faulty valve at the top of the stomach causing even more reflux.  

Irishnurse
on 3/28/13 5:31 pm, edited 3/29/13 10:55 am
DS on 04/17/13

RNY is known to cure GERD because very few cells that create acid are left after they are finished decreasing the size of the stomach. The acid producing portion of your stomach will be disconnected from your pouch therefore reducing and sometimes curing acid reflux.

The Band and the VSG have been known to cause ACID reflux. The VSG is the actually part of the DS. (The stomach part)

DS will cause you to lose more weight though with longer lasting results. =) According to Stats. 

MajorMom
on 3/28/13 7:02 pm - VA

You might want to ask hollykim about her recent revision surgery. She had 2 opinions advising her to get an RNY but was still able to get DS. I think I have the information correct.  Holly, do I have it right?

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

larra
on 3/29/13 12:34 am - bay area, CA

On what do you base the diagnosis of bile reflux? I'm not saying that you are wrong, just that this doesn't make sense to me. With the sleeve, your pyloric valve should still be functioning properly, thus preventing bile from refluxing into your stomach or esophagus. Bile reflux is a well known problem with the so-called "mini gastric bypass", but not with the sleeve.

On the other hand, if your surgeon made a really tight, narrow sleeve, that could cause or contribute to acid reflux into your esophagus. But acid and bile are opposites chemically, as bile is a base. This is why antacids don't work for true bile reflux.

Larra

MS.LISA
on 3/29/13 3:46 am - Salem, OR

It is not acid its bile, I wake up in the middle of the night with this nasty yellow bile coming up and will go in my lungs and chokes me, I have heard lots of people on VSG forum that has had this problem, now after I eat it will do the same thing and

it comes right up. I have tried all the antacids and they don't work. Next month I am getting a upper endoscopy (EGD) with Bravo placement and that will detect how much bile is actually coming up and it it is in fact Bile reflex then I have to get the RNY.

And GOD knows I dont want that!

a^

^

larra
on 3/29/13 8:20 am - bay area, CA

I'm glad you are getting an appropriate work-up done, though I still don't understand how or why a sleeve would cause bile reflux. Keep in mind that all us DS'ers also have a sleeve, and we don't have issues wtih bile reflux.

In fact, now that I think about it, it seems to me that if bile reflux really is the problem, a DS should fix it, as the amount of duodenum that is left attached to the sleeve and pylorus is very short, AND the connection between that little bit of duodenum and the ileum is usally made nice and wide, meaning that bile (and food and any other fluids) would preferentially pass downward through the anastamosis rather than going upstream and having to pass through the pyloric valve to boot. And since your stomach (sleeve in your case) produces acid and not bile, there should then be little or no bile located where it could reflux.

So if it turns out that you really do have bile reflux, consult with a DS surgeon before you have the RNY that you so much don't want. Do keep in mind, though, as others have pointed out, that we do absorb carbs, esp simple carbs. There is no bariatric operation that prevents carb absorption.

Larra

MsBatt
on 3/29/13 8:30 am

I'm with Larra on this---the anatomy of the DS should make bile reflux impossible. Here's a picture. See the gall bladder? That's where bile enters to gut, and see how the bile would have to flow down the bilio-pancreatic limb, then back UP the alimentary limb in order to be refluxed? Should cure your problem completely!

MS.LISA
on 3/29/13 9:36 am - Salem, OR
Doesn't matter if I have my gallbladder taken out?
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 163 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 697 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 238 views