venturing out

jzwife
on 4/8/13 6:45 am

I had my surgery 3 weeks tomorrow and am down 20lbs. I decided I needed to get out for a bit and decided to do a little shopping. (I found it interesting that I had to plan my little journey around what I ate for breakfast and how it was going to affect how far I could go without any bowel issues. Fortunately I was able to get a few things accomplished.

I found it interesting that I could tell you exactly where  they worked on me inside my body because the pain could be pretty intense. I must have had that look on my face because the checkout lady asked me if I just had surgery. (I honestly tried not to be so obvious!) I'm tired, I hurt but I am glad I went. I am now going to take some drugs and a nap!

Sharon

* Gail R *
on 4/8/13 7:00 am - SF Bay Area, CA

I am concerned that you are still in pain. Maybe it was just me, but by 6 or 7 days out, I wasn't hurting that much. (I was never able to tolerate more than a tylenol as pain meds made me nauseous) Maybe you pushed yourself to do too much. IMHO, If you continue to have so much pain that it is evident to strangers, then you should call your surgeon.

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

jzwife
on 4/8/13 9:32 am

Hi Gail,

I guess I should clarify myself a little here. When  I said pain meds I meant childrens  tylenol that they gave me at the hospital and the last time I took any was 3 days ago. I don't take it on a daily basis.I have the liquid oxycodone but hate taking that stuff so I avoid  it. I just did a ton of walking today so by the time I was done my insides were hurting pretty bad. I had to stand a long time in the grocery line so by the time she got to me I was really feeling it. I should have just done a little grocery shopping instead of going to the department store first! I never do any thing simple.

TaliTali
on 4/9/13 12:16 am - Sammamish, WA

That pain comment caught my eye too ... especially that far out. I know we're all different so it's hard sometimes but I end up comparing to my own experience.

I went to the mall 5 days post-op and walked the entire thing. I was tired and had a few sit-downs but at 3 weeks I was 100% back to work and doing things "normally". Any twinges or pain were gone in the first week.

That's the problem with comparing though---we're all different and it varies depending on our health before surgery, how it was done, who did it, and how we feel afterwards.

Sooo, that said, good job on getting out! The trick with getting out and about is staying hydrated.

HW ~ SW ~ CW
310 - 291 - 150

jzwife
on 4/9/13 1:32 am

I think the fact that I am 62 makes a little bit of difference too. Being older just seems to slow the healing down a little plus I had surgery for breast cancer in December so I honestly think some things slow down the healing process a little.I think over all I'm still doing pretty good. Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it.

Sharon

TaliTali
on 4/9/13 2:28 am - Sammamish, WA

It can effect things, certainly. I think most of us just get a little panicky when we see "pain"  :)

HW ~ SW ~ CW
310 - 291 - 150

leanmama
on 4/9/13 4:59 am - St Louis , MO
DS on 03/26/13

I too plan my venturing out with refrence to when and what was eaten lately.  I still have pain,  I had a revision to DS 2 weeks ago after having VSG 2 years ago and a huge abd hystero 14 years ago my DS took 4.5 hrs with mucho adhesion removal so some of us are not so lucky to have our pain resolve so fast. Though I will say Ihave turned a corner and can gete out of bed and chairs without pain but staninding a walking always has been my nemesis pre op as well. 

LEE
on 4/10/13 4:08 am

Hi Sharon

Awesome job on venturing out.  I am 14 days out today and have not ventured anywhere because I still have pain, but mostly at night.  I have been walking a lot a hour a day to be exact, broken up into 15 minute intervals.    I go to get my drains out tomorrow and man am I ready, but the feeding tube has to stay in place for the full six weeks.

Salty Pickle a.k.a.  Lee
jzwife
on 4/10/13 4:56 am

Good for you Lee!!! Sounds like you are doing well. Its a tough journey. I think when we come out of surgery we want to hit the ground running and we're lucky to make it to the bathroom! My pain is a lot less and gets better every day. I did eat something this morning that made me sick to my stomach so am learning what I can and cannot do

Why do you have to have a feeding tube for so long- just me being nosey! I too was glad to have my drainage bulb out but I was lucky and had mine removed before I left to come home.

I don't feel like I've lost anything but seem to managing a pound a day in weight loss so maybe one day when I look in the mirror I will finally be able to see it!

Hang in there- theres always a new corner to turn!

Sharon

LEE
on 4/10/13 5:17 am

I think Dr. Rabkin wants the tube in so long to prevent dehydration, if something happens and I can't get my water or protein in it can easily be put it my feeding tube, which is what I have been doing on days when I can't get it in.

I am still dizzy when I walk and have been using a walker.  lol. 

I think I have lost a whooping 5 pounds, but I have only pooped once since my surgery so I may be full of crap.lol.

Salty Pickle a.k.a.  Lee
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 131 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 671 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 236 views