dense proteins are killing me!!!

jzwife
on 5/24/13 1:49 am
I am 10 weeks out and am not quite sure if I have too high of expectations of where I should be as far as eating. Sometimes I can eat dense protein like shrimp, pork or beef but still cannot do any chicken. Other times I give meats and fish a shot and it comes right back up. Last night my daughter and I went to dinner at Applebees and I had steak and shrimp with a little parmesan garlic sauce on it. I ate 2-3 oz of it and felt like I had a brick sitting in my stomach. I finally had to excuse myself to go into the bathroom because I couldn't keep it down. This is how it is almost every night when I try to eat something solid. I usually get in about 60-80 grams of protein in a day and am working towards 90 but I was hoping by now I would be able to do more foods instead of just protein drinks. Are my expectations to high at this point- should I just up my protein drinks and lay off the dense proteins for awhile? This is certainly a learning process!
Thanks
Sharon
docputer
on 5/24/13 1:56 am - Topeka, KS
DS on 01/17/13

For a time I did just fine with shrimp, but chicken breast was just too dense for me. Cooking it at home, I could pound it with something and break it down some. Certain steaks were also too much for me. I found just cutting tiny pieces served me best. That and realizing that eating is not a race. Now any pain when eating can pretty much be solved by slowing down.

Huneypie
on 5/24/13 3:15 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

I'd stick to fish until you're better able to tolerate the denser stuff - no point being sick.  Greek yogurt and scrambled eggs should hopefully go down easier too - you probably still have a lot of swelling even though it's been 10 weeks.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

allegedlylisa
on 5/24/13 4:31 am

Even six months out, sometimes food just feels heavy.  Chicken especially.  Lots of fat with it in the forms of gravy, sauce, butter help it go down.  I think you're doing great for 10 weeks out!!!  Just listen to what your body is telling you.  There is no right or wrong and everyone kind of progresses differently.  Small bites are also the key - and it's something I still struggle with even when I KNOW better and to eat smaller and slower.  Apparently I have a thick skull, LOL

Lisa

Valerie G.
on 5/24/13 5:15 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

This is going to take a while, and remember that you only have 2-3 oz of room in your stomach for one sitting, so don't over-stuff yourself.  You'll be able to eat more in the coming months, but not now.  Opt for the tenderest cuts of meat.  For chicken - just put the breast away for a while.  instead, look to thighs and legs.  For steak, you're looking at ribeye, prime rib and filet mignon.  Don't even think about Sirloin - too tough.  Pot roast is good too.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Irishnurse
on 5/24/13 5:34 am
DS on 04/17/13

I heard that tiny bites so you do not have to chew forever help. I heard chewing forever makes it fibrous and stick in your tummy. So smaller bites are better. Dunno.

SW-340, CW-164, GW-150, 14 pounds to go...

jashley
on 5/24/13 6:03 am
DS on 12/19/12

I have the same problem.  Ask for the To Go box right up front. 

Eat slowly.  When you can eat only 2-3 oz at a time, it's easy to get into the conversation and take one bite too many.  Then be in the bathroom or pulling over on the side of the road to heave.  I don't have any warning signs on this - like some people start to drool or foam - not me.  I would just realize out of the blue that I over shot it, and then it's a fight to keep it down.

Steaks, chicken thighs and drums, roasts and ribs work well for me.  Pork loin and chicken breasts are still too dry for me.  I need a serious sauce to get those down.

Over 5 months out and still can't eat more than 2 oz of steak at a time.   Going out to eat means I bring home enough left overs to eat another 2 days.

PeteA
on 5/24/13 7:49 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I feel for you but it will come. There is nothing worse than having the same meal that was OK one time come up on you the next time. I can't help you with eating out but I have a couple of suggestions for home. Just some things that never gave me trouble. YMMV

I always found that tuna from a can sat very lightly in my stomach. Until recently I did 2 oz at a time but now do 3. I love salmon and other fish but canned tuna is the only thing that never gave me a problem.

Also, I pureed all kinds of chicken early on in my blender. As long as I watched amounts I never had a problem, O****asionally I would zone out and eat it too fast. Always trouble for me. 

I think you are doing fine. I am certainly not ready to face a restaurant. I do think you should be having something you have to chew, maybe some cheese or just very small amounts? I think the shakes are a good fallback though.

I'm glad to see you can sometimes eat beef. I plan to try some this week.

Easier days ahead.

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

JazzyOne9254
on 5/24/13 8:04 am

Chicken breast always seems to swell up on me when I drink with it and makes me lose what I've eaten.  Dark meat, on the other hand, is yummy, full of fat, and stays down with no problem. This happens to me even though I'm a little over 4 years out.

If you prefer white meat, just go easy on the beverages while you're eating.  That stuff is like a sponge, and will definitely absorb what you drink , swell and make you uncomfortable. As a side note, this seems to only happen with take-out white meat, ala KFC.  When I cook my own chicken breast, everything's fine.

Give it a little more time.  Don't push yourself.  The meat will still be there. Fish and shrimp were my go-to protein foods at 10 weeks.  Much easier to digest.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

jzwife
on 5/24/13 10:22 am
Thanks for all the great help and ideas. Its so nice to realize you are "Normal." will take everything to heart and try to regroup a little here- especially smaller bites, less food and not eating to fast! Its so easy to get lost in a conversation and do too much!
Thanks
Sharon
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 247 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 733 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 244 views