Attention to Dr. Roslin's DS patients

SWEETMEL7
on 11/6/13 7:56 am - NY
Today I met with Dr. Roslin because I am having surgery on December 3rd. Roslin explained that he gives his patients the option to either have the traditional DS or the one loop DS. What I'm trying to find out if you had the one loop DS , how was your weight loss and was the diarrhea controllable.
T Lady
on 11/6/13 8:10 am, edited 11/6/13 8:12 am
I would be very hesitant of it. Dr. Roslin has a good rep, but I would not choose that for myself. There doesn't seem to be enough research to it's long term success. Check this out, http://m.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/4616570/SADI-The-single-loop-DS-Anyone-out-there-had-it/

Also, to address diarrhea and the misconception that all DSers are running to the bathroom...my surgeon told me the same thing by-the-way. I am actually CONSTIPATED most of the time. I take stool softeners as well as get in extra fat in order to stay regular. What a lot of DS surgeons fail to mention is that we need a lot of calcium citrate, which firms things up, often in an uncomfortable way. If I didn't take my vitamins, I would suffer from diarrhea, but since I'm compliant with my vitamin intake, it has NEVER been an issue in my life. I've even heard of one surgeon say that they wouldn't recommend a DS to a patient that didn't have a strong sphincter muscle, due to constant diarrhea. That, in my opinion, is absurd!

Original DS-1/07/09- Dr. Simper, SW: 286, LW:170, Post-op HW:194

Hiatal Hernia Repair & Revised DS to Hess Method-1/29/14- Dr. Keshishian, SW:194, CW:176, GW:130ish

PCOS w/ 2 post DS pregnancies!

PattyL
on 11/6/13 8:30 am

The one loop DS...  Well no one knows if it really works yet.  Not enough data, especially not long term data.  I have my doubts.

What diarrhea?  Anyone who tries to tell you we live our live chained to the toilet because of constant diarrhea is not telling the truth.  In the very beginning, you will have some diarrhea, most do.  You treat it and it stops.  I probably get diarrhea once or twice a year and that's it.

Nycsublimegirl
on 11/6/13 1:13 pm - GUTTENBERG, NJ

Dr roslin was going to do the loop on me... But he reverted back to the traditional as he did not like the progress of the loop ... And how is was laying.... That being said I do not have diarea .... I poop once maybe 2x a day.... Most are fairly normal

Corbin Y.
on 11/6/13 8:49 pm - New York, NY
DS on 03/26/13

Don't know enough about the loop.  I had the full DS laproscopically from Dr. Roslin, but had serious complications, and he had to open me up to fix leaks two days later, and I was in the ICU for a week, but pulled through.   We both suspect that the leaks were partially because I had serious problems with psoriasis, and had taken injectables such as Enbrel for years.   Now down 154 pounds, I am convinced Dr. Roslin saved my life.  He's a good doctor.  If he's giving you a choice, and you don't feel comfortable with the loop, stick with the regular DS.  My poops are 1-2x a day as long as I'm eating properly.  I get that the loop seems like a simpler surgery, but not knowing the long terms efficacy of it, I would be leery.  

hollykim
on 11/6/13 11:30 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
The ONLY time I have diarrhea is if I eat sugar/carbs. Then within 6 hours or so I will have really stinky farts and really stinky diarrhea. As long as I am eating on plan,little to no processed white flour carbs and sugar,I am good to go.

I will get constipated if I don't eat these items and have to use my bowel program to avoid it,so yeah,that whole diarrhea thing is a fallacy,started by those who can't/ won't control their intake. It is all on them...doesn't happen to everyone and certainly not all the time. Just goes to show how little surgeons know about the after life of Wls,cause most of them don't want to know,lol. They are cutters,not long term fixers.
GL

Zee Starrlite
on 11/7/13 4:16 am

Go with "traditional" - it's been proven to work well as long as you do your part.  No surprises is best - no???

All Best,

L

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 233 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 726 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 243 views