Leg cramps

Sandra C.
on 11/3/13 1:19 am - Killeen, TX

I have been having a lot of feet and leg cramps. My vitamin levels have stayed consistent at my last appointment but I think this may be be an issue with vitamin D. It dropped at my last blood work 5 months ago. Any suggestions on helping get it back up. I have been in and out of the hospital with hernia surgery and then a staph infection so I'm afraid I may have not been on top of things. I am very diligent about my vitamins I had a hard time holding anything down for a few months. Thanks for the advise and the shame on me!

Sandra

I love my DS! 

SW/CW/GW        NO REGRETS!!!!!!

242/123/126

Prncsangl
on 11/3/13 1:31 am, edited 11/3/13 9:26 am - Philadelphia, PA
For the past year, I have been experiencing leg cramps at night especially if I have been driving for hrs. I have to drink tonic water before bedtime to avoid the excruciating, breaking sleep leg cramps. Does it have to deal with celiac disesase? Never had cramps so bad and often. This is one of the reason why I want a revision to my RNY. I need to lose at least another 100lbs.
Sandra C.
on 11/3/13 2:00 am - Killeen, TX

I may be dehydrated. I have been googling it. I have upped my dose of magnesium, potassium and vitamin D and more water. Hopefully that will help because these cramps are very painful. Thank you.

Sandra

I love my DS! 

SW/CW/GW        NO REGRETS!!!!!!

242/123/126

MajorMom
on 11/3/13 3:10 am - VA

My mom drinks tonic water too. I've been lucky that mag cit and potassium do the trick for me. Isn't it quinine or something like that in the tonic water that makes it so good for leg cramps?

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

PattyL
on 11/3/13 3:55 am

More calcium, potassium, and magnesium.  I take the extra potassium in the morning and the magnesium at night.  If I miss a couple doses, the leg cramps come back!

beemerbeeper
on 11/3/13 5:08 am - AL

Different things seem to work for different people. What works for me is on dose of  Calicum (two pills), Two doses of Mag Citrate, OTC Potassium about 4-6 times a day.  Caffeine or exertion causing sweating (dehydration...even very mild) makes it much worse.  I have had to sleep with my tennis shoes on to keep my toes from pointing down to get any sleep at all.  My labs are always good so I can't get a script for potassium.  There is very little potassium in OTC potassium so adding salt substitute can help a lot if it is a potassium issue (salt substitute is potassium).  You'd have to eat a lot of food containing carbs (sweet potatoes, bananas etc.. to get enough potassium to help much).  Also adding real salt can help you hold in fluids.

I know how miserable they are.  I even get them in my hands.  Hopt this helps.

Becky

S Andrews
on 11/3/13 5:28 am - eatonville, WA

Magnesium always helps with my leg cramps.

Sandra C.
on 11/3/13 10:02 am - Kalamazoo, MI

Do you take Prilosec?  I had leg cramps in both legs at the same time. Someone here told me it could be from too  high a dose of Prilosec. I was taking one AM, one PM. now back to AM only with no leg cramps.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Duodenal Switch- lap
Dr. Paul. Kemmeter Grand Rapids, Mi.
Dr. John  Renucci, Plastics, Body contouring,Grand Rapids, Mi.
Start 255/ Surgery wt 235/ Current wt. 117

BMI-20, 135 lbs lost, 5'3"

fullhousemom
on 11/3/13 8:45 pm
Early after my surgery I had leg cramps and seem to recall that low iron can cause leg cramps. Or you could suffer from restless leg syndrome.

Others above have mentioned some very good specific things to consider.

A few weeks ago, I had some weakness in my legs, but not like the pains I had had before. I attributed it to hydration. Vitamin Water Revive is a good source of potassium. I have been drinking that about every third day just to keep my potassium level up a bit, and of course, it helps with hydration as well. 120 calories, all carbs, but it has some other vites as well.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 227 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 723 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 243 views