Protein .

SWEETMEL7
on 12/5/13 10:19 pm - NY

Hi. Good morning. I had  surgery  this Tuesday and wanted to find out how much protein should I have daily , this early out.  Thank you,  Melissa.

ElijahsMama
on 12/6/13 1:04 am

The general rule when you are a newbie is 30 grams of protein in 30 days, 60 in 60 days, ans 90 by 80 days out. Your most important thing right now is to stay hydrated. Sip water all day long, even when you don't want too. Sip, sip and sip some more. I got dehydrated very fast and felt awful. Anything sugar free counts, even broth.

fullhousemom
on 12/6/13 2:25 am
Not even a week out? First of all, congratulations!

The protein needs above are perfect. I just wanted to stress the importance of hydration. Sip, sip, sip, chew ice chips.....keep getting fluids in. That is the most important thing for the first couple of weeks. Remember, your body brought in some protein stores before surgery. It can hang on a bit with less protein and your vitamins, but it NEEDS that intake of fluids!

Having the iv in the hospital is wonderful, but it doesnt prepare you once you get home. I remember looking in the mirror about a week out and thinking, "I can already tell that I have lost weight in my face. Wow! That is amazing!" Once reality kicked in, I realized that my eyes looked a little bigger, not because I had lost fat, but because I was getting dehydrated. It was something I had not paid enough attention to post op. While I didnt have to go to the hospital, I did immediately become much more intentional with my fluid intake, and had no more problems.
PeteA
on 12/6/13 2:54 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Also remember the 30, 60, 90 rule is at the end of the month. It easily took me the whole month to get to 30. Things may go a little quicker as you heal in the second month but don't be in a rush. Liquids are the top priority when you first get home then start slowly with protein.

BrienneofTarth
on 12/7/13 1:13 am - IL
DS on 03/26/13

I lived on sugar-free popsicles my first two weeks out!  Like everyone said, keep hydrated and slowly work up to the grams of protein.  Congrats and good luck!

SWEETMEL7
on 12/7/13 6:29 pm - NY

Thank you for all your responses. They are appreciated!

MajorMom
on 12/7/13 7:14 pm - VA

If you can do better than the 30-60-90 day goals with protein shakes, do it, but don't beat yourself up. Staying hydrated is priority number 1.

Congratulations!

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 285 views