Newbie looking for answers

chevtow41
on 3/17/14 7:50 am
DS on 11/11/14

Hi everyone my name is Russ. I've had weight problems for almost 30 years, I'm 41 now. I've lost and regained weight "the old fashioned way" numerous times. The last time I lost 160lbs and have in the last 2 years gained it all back with interest :(  Each time the weight has gotten harder to get off and easier to put back on. That's my history :)

My question is for the veterans out there. Would you do the DS again? What do you consider the biggest drawbacks if any? I've been lurking and researching and it seems like the best option for me because of the wider menu choices. I'm not scared of the pills and vitamins, I take a ton of pills now to keep from buying the farm. Only problem I have with DS is there aren't any surgeons close to me, I'll have to travel to Chicago (3-4 hrs) to see the doctor. I don't mind driving but am nervous that doctors may not like me being so far away. I do have Dr. Kemmerling, a good Gastric bypass doctor right in town, but no DS. So please offer your help and experiences. THANKS !!

neededchange
on 3/17/14 10:00 am
neededchange
on 3/17/14 10:01 am
neededchange
on 3/17/14 10:03 am

I live an hour from Chicago.  I had Dr James Kane.  He did revision from open rny from another surgeon to ds on feb 4th.  I am a newbie...but am glad I did it.  

geekinitout
on 3/17/14 10:47 am
DS on 04/07/14

Hey Russ!

I live in a small town in Oklahoma and nowhere near a good decent doctor.  A friend of mine who had RNY turned me to his doctor as we were talking about it one day.  I haven't had surgery yet, but I go this week for my 2nd consult and will have the surgery scheduled then.  

The doctor that I am seeing is 3.5 hours away from me.  I can understand your concern without doubt!  I have it first hand.  However, I did my homework on this doctor and vetted him pretty good before our first appointment.  I have to say I have been pleased.  I would suggest doing your homework with some of the doctors in the Chicago area and do a lot of homework on them.  Check out the reasons why to do DS vs. RNY and etc.  Look at the longevity if you follow what you're suppose to do and etc.  You may be surprised that something else would be for you or you may just find that DS is the one for you.  

chevtow41
on 3/17/14 11:15 am
DS on 11/11/14

Good luck on your surgery Geekinitout. Thanks for your insights, it's good to hear from other people that have to travel to get the surgery.

larra
on 3/17/14 11:07 am - bay area, CA

Russ, the DS is a great choice, and not just because of the wider variety of foods and much more normal diet you can eat (though that is helpful). The DS has the best statistics of any bariatric surgery for percentage excess weight loss, for maintaining that weight loss (very important!) and for resolution of almost all comorbidities. The failure rate for RNY is substantial - sort of the dirty little secret of the bariatric surgery community. And lap band is even worse. You mentioned that you are taking a lot of pills, so I'm guessing you have some comorbidities. The DS has the highest rate of permanent resolution for type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and sleep apnea.

In addition, we can take NSAIDs safely with the DS, where with RNY they are contraindicated for the rest of your life. No or rare dumping with the DS. You can drink liquids with meals. Yes, we take a lot of vitamins, but it sounds like you are aware of that and ok with it.

You will be traveling for your DS but lots of people do that and your surgeons are probably used to this and able to work with you. In Chicago you have Drs. Alverdy and Prachand, who are experienced DS surgeons. This is a big plus. In my opinion the extra effort is well worth it; you will need to make your own decision, keeping in mind that the inconvenience of travel is temporary but living with your operation is for the rest of your life.

I had the DS over 8 years ago and have absolutely no regrets. I think I would have doen well with RNY short term but not longterm, which is the sad story of many people with RNY, though there are some people who are successful with it. I waited longer and traveled further to get the DS and it was well worth it.

Larra

chevtow41
on 3/17/14 11:13 am
DS on 11/11/14

Thanks Larra. The travel doesn't bother me, and I was looking at the University of Chicago which is where the surgeons you mentioned are located -- good sign :) Plus there is a lot to do in Chi-town. I forgot about the NSAID's which is pretty important as I no longer have cartilage in one knee. My insurance does cover bariatric surgery and if I read it right it includes DS, so that is a relief. I appreciate your time in answering.

calendargirl
on 3/17/14 12:44 pm - Land of Oz, KS
DS on 04/20/12

Hi Russ, at almost 2 years out, I don't feel like a veteran yet, but I will tell you that I would do the DS again every year if need be to have this quality of life.  

Yes, I do focus on eating protein and fats first, and my body wants them, so they are very satisfying.  

Yes, I do take 35-40 pills a day, and I feel so great when my phone alarm reminds me and I down them with a sense of accomplishment.

Yes, I do get in the neighborhood of 17 vials of blood taken every 6 months for labs, but it is soooo satisfying to see that my vitamin routine is paying off, even to tweak it further if need be.

Some people say these are the drawbacks of a DS, but these are NOTHING compared to living with the multitude of health problems associated with morbid obesity.

I hope you have found www.dsfacts.com to find the list of vetted DS surgeons AND to find out why the DS is your best choice for maintaining your weight loss over time. 

Best of luck to you!

C-Girl

Starting Stats: Ht: 5' 0" HW: 242 ~ SW: 229.9 ~ CW: 117 ~ Goal: 124.9 ("normal" BMI)
% EWL @ 03 months: 36%             % EWL
 @ 09 months: 80%
% EWL @ 06 months: 63%             % EWL @ 12 months + 2 weeks: 100%

PattyL
on 3/17/14 3:15 pm

Today the DS is the best you can do.  There is nothing better out there.  I had mine about 11 years ago and I wish I had done it sooner!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 121 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 663 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 234 views