C DIFF questions

robertabreton
on 9/22/14 11:39 am - WA

I'm just starting treatment for my 3rd bout of C DIFF since June 27th. The first occurred while in the hospital for hemolytic anemia, the second began just after returning home from open intestinal surgery and this third bout makes no sense at all (except, I am still on prednisone, if that matters) I take a super powerful probiotic 2x day but am having a difficult time getting all my vitamins in every day because I am vomiting a lot and losing them. Does anyone have any suggestions for preventing C DIFF? 

Up2Me3
on 9/22/14 11:58 pm

I am new to this forum and have DS surgery planned for next month. So I'm of no help sorry...but I was wondering what C DIFF is? This is the first post I'm reading that someone is having what may be a negative experience.....can you explain how far out you are etc etc.

I'm just very nervous and on the verge of backing out every other day! Thanks for any feedback - Steph

robertabreton
on 9/23/14 7:34 am - WA

My C Diff infections have nothing to do with my DS  surgery. I have had a series of unrelated problems, including surgeries and hospitalizations since feb 2014. I had my DS surgery over 2 yrs ago and lost all of my weight in 14 mo. No problems with the DS surgery other than normal discomforts, which this forum is very good about helping people get through.

robertabreton
on 9/23/14 7:36 am - WA

My C Diff infections have nothing to do with my DS  surgery. I have had a series of unrelated problems, including surgeries and hospitalizations since feb 2014. I had my DS surgery over 2 yrs ago and lost all of my weight in 14 mo. No problems with the DS surgery other than normal discomforts, which this forum is very good about helping people get through.

Huneypie
on 9/23/14 2:56 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

Sorry you're suffering Roberta.  I did a quick Google and the following looked like a nice and concise answer.

Re the vomiting - does it only happen after one specific batch of vits?  If so you need to figure what's in that batch that's not in the others and eliminate those items and then slowly re-introduce them.

I started barfing in the evenings and eventually I figured out it was my iron - which I'd been on for over a year, but nausea was a listed side effect and I just cut the dose as my iron was no longer low, so I'm just maintaining my levels.

"To help prevent the spread of C. difficile, hospitals and other health care facilities follow strict infection-control guidelines. If you have a friend or family member in a hospital or nursing home, don't be afraid to remind caregivers to follow the recommended precautions.

Preventive measures include:

• Hand-washing. Health care workers should practice good hand hygiene before and after treating each person in their care. In the event of a C. difficile outbreak, using soap and warm water is a better choice for hand hygiene, because alcohol-based hand sanitizers do not effectively destroy C. difficile spores. Visitors also should wash their hands with soap and warm water before and after leaving the room or using the bathroom.
  • Contact precautions. People who are hospitalized with C. difficile have a private room or share a room with someone who has the same illness. Hospital staff and visitors wear disposable gloves and gowns while in the room.
  • Thorough cleaning. In any setting, all surfaces should be carefully disinfected with a product that contains chlorine bleach. C. difficile spores can survive routine cleaning products that don't contain bleach.
  • Avoid unnecessary use of antibiotics. Antibiotics are sometimes prescribed for viral illnesses that aren't helped by these drugs. Take a wait-and-see attitude with simple ailments. If you do need an antibiotic, ask your doctor to prescribe one that has a narrow range and that you take for the shortest time possible."

Source: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/c-difficile/ba sics/prevention/con-20029664

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

fullhousemom
on 9/23/14 4:22 am
I don't know anything about C Diff, but learned a lot about hemalytic anemia when my dad went thru it about 2 years post-DS (though they say there is no link between the two, unless you have heard differently?)

I just wanted to point out that having one autoimmune disease will make you more susceptible to others. This summer, he went in for his routine blood work and his platelets were at 9. He had just noticed purple dots on his body the night before. No other symptoms. We had no idea that he would be more susceptible to other autoimmune diseases. When in doubt, if you aren't feeling well, get your labs done.

Best wishes.
PeteA
on 9/23/14 5:29 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

My Mom caught C-diff in the hospital. From what I remember and have read the important thing is to make sure it is all killed with
antibiotics otherwise it just comes back. The pro-biotics would help you fight the symptoms (dh mostly) but doesn't do anything to
kill off the c-diff.

It's hard to make sure everyone washes before checking you out but this can spread in a hospital like wildfire. 
Good luck with this.

It sounds like you are relating the vomitting to the c-diff. That wasn't my experience with my Mom. Did that happen
with your first 2 bouts also? Otherwise, all the antibiotics and prednisone may have left you more sensitive to something
you are taking as part of your vits.

Pete

K P.
on 9/26/14 4:03 pm
DS on 07/08/14

Hi, ah C diff, so glad he and I finally parted ways. I had C Diff for about 6 weeks. I had to take three different antibiotics before I got rid of it. in the end, Dificid, is what cured me. In order to actually be "cured" you need a negative test result, not just symptoms being relieved. Have you got this at all? What antibiotics/strengths have you been on? 

Do you take any PPI's by chance? They can cause recurrent bouts of c diff in some cases.

Also, it appears one of the side effects of prednisone is c diff. So you may need to start treating the c diff all over again. 

Oh, I stopped my probiotics because I found they actually made my c diff symptoms worse. Have you taken Zofran for you nausea? It helped me tremendously.

I know this is kind of scattered, but I am more than willing to help anyway I can just ask away. 

HW 284; SW 270; CW 152; Revised GW 140-160  

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 362 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views