Anyone had the SADi-S (Single anastomosis duodeno-ileal bypass with sleeve gastrectomy)

Miranda W.
on 11/17/14 8:04 am - Zebulon, NC

I am having this revision surgery from a lap-band on the 19th. Has anyone else had this surgery or heard any results from someone who has had it ? It is fairly new (last 5 years). Shows really good results but its nothing like hearing it first hand.

Star0210
on 11/17/14 8:30 am
DS on 11/28/14

Yes there are a few...and everybody I've come across except one person is having really good success with it so far....course nobody knows yet whether the stats will hold up years out as there's no long term data yet.

but yes, the studies so far look very promising.

i hope some of them speak up on this thread. 

MsBatt
on 11/17/14 8:34 am

It shows good SHORT-TERM results. It has NO long-term results. Keep in mind that it has far less malabsorption of calories than a traditional DS, but I'm betting it has as much malabsorption of vitamins and minerals as the traditional DS.

It may prove to be a good surgery, but no one's going to know for certain for several years yet.

Miranda W.
on 11/17/14 8:58 am - Zebulon, NC

It makes me really nervous since I had a failed lap-band experience. I guess I'm just afraid that I am jumping on another bandwagon of the "newest and latest" surgery showing good results. I felt this way about the lap-band 3 years ago. I failed it as much as it failed me. I feel very confident in my surgeon (best in NC) and this is what he has recommended. He explained it has the restrictive and malabsorptive but with less vitamin deficiencies than the DS.  I will post my results and I hope to hear from more who have had this procedure.

Lisarn1
on 11/22/14 9:50 pm - Raleigh, NC

Love Dr. Enoch's! I was supposed to have this procedure as revision from RNY, but had some complications during surgery. I was converted to VSG, and I think I'll be ok with that. Certainly a step up from the terrible bleeding ulcers that I had on the anastomoses! I'm really gun shy to pursue the SADI as a secondary surgery because I had an indirect complication of Hemothorax and Pleural Effusion that landed me in the hospital for two weeks, along with thoracic surgery. 

Please do not take this as a negative for the procedure! I have had 7 abdominal & pelvic surgeries over the years. My complication was related to an adhesion tear to my spleen, with fluid and blood pushing up through my diaphragm after my hernia repair. It had nothing to do with the SADI procedure or Dr. Enoch's! In fact, he and his collegues have been very supportive, visiting me daily while I was in the hospital. He worked very closely with the thoracic surgeon, and they collaborated on my plan of care. Now all I need to do is to get stronger. 

Bottom line is that I adore Dr. Enochs, and trust him. Good luck with your procedure.

Lisa

RNY 10/19/09 - Revision to VSG 10/13/14 - Dr Paul Enochs 

newlifetax
on 11/17/14 9:59 am
DS on 10/27/14

I had this procedure on 10/27/14, so I'm fairly new to the game. Since surgery, I have lost 28lb. I did extensive research before deciding on the SADI-S. I could not find a reason not to do it given my bmi. The numbers I saw were on par or better than the standard ds. The only problem is that the population of the studies is much lower than the standard ds data. I'm confident that a year from now I will be where I want to be and that I will be able to keep the weight off long term. If I'm wrong, I can always have a revision to the full ds. 

Up2Me3
on 11/18/14 6:12 am

I also had the SADI-s.....so far so good, 4 weeks out down 33#'s. Went back to work after 2 weeks (desk job). My energy is starting to return......as I followed advice from vets to up my hydration, then my protein.

You will hear a LOT of negative from DS vets on why you would ever choose to do something newer. But you need to discuss with your doctor the pro and cons and then make a decision that feels right to you. My doctor won't do the traditional DS's anymore. He is that confident in the SADI.

Wishing you well in this very personal decision!

Miranda W.
on 11/18/14 7:14 am - Zebulon, NC

Thank you so much for your reply. It is so nice to hear it first hand. My surgery is scheduled for 1:00 pm tomorrow. My surgeon too has a lot of confidence in the SADI. I hope I am as successful as you have been. Were you a revision surgery?

Up2Me3
on 11/18/14 11:16 pm

No. I'm a first time out the door. Good luck today. Keep us posted. You can pm message me if you have any questions or concerns. The one thing I can advise for the hospital stay is water, walk and water and walk!

Star0210
on 11/18/14 6:14 am, edited 11/18/14 6:18 am
DS on 11/28/14
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 232 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 726 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 243 views