Any regrets?

Trying_Again2
on 11/15/14 3:36 pm

hello,

I am new to this site, and glad to of found this forum. I am a second round surgery canidate.I had a lap band in 2004, lost 162 pounds, mantained it for 4 years and then after not being able to get a medication as my Dr up and disappeared regained it all plus.I had the band removed in 09/2013, have been turned down by 3 other doctors for any type of WLS and now found my current Dr.he is amazing.

I have agreed to a sleeve at this point,and he recommends the DS. I want it, but i am scared of going diffecient from the malnutriency.I am in my late 50's any advice good or bad??? Anyone else went through this same revision?.I have already been through all my tests, blood, eval, heart, lung, GI,Ultra sound,I expect to be given a surgery date on 11/24/2014, and i think i have to have my decision of with or without the DS.

My current weight is 349.6.....started at 385

I desperately need a hip replacement (am loaded with arthritis) and unable to exercise at this time, was just put in a wheelchair which i want out of....

Thank you

Valerie G.
on 11/15/14 11:17 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

At your BMI your doc was wise to recommend DS.  Avoiding malnutrition is as simple as a habit.  The habit of learning all you can about supplements, how to read your lab report and taking vitamins throughout the day.  I'm 9 yrs out and healthy as ever.  

The biggest challenge is that docs and nutritionists do not grasp our nutritional needs long-term.  You will read much here that contradicts what you hear from them from the vets.  This is the tried and true information - instead of the generic wls file that a nutritionist has.  You find you get the same recommendations as a RNY patient, and we are very different.  They don't get it, or just refuse to.

Fortunately, we share a lot.  Browse the nutrition and vitamin topics, look at the Bites and Vites thread to see what kinds of foods we're eating.  Generally, we eat high protein, moderate fat, and lower carb (some count carbs, others are just mindful).  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Trying_Again2
on 11/16/14 5:05 pm

Ty for your Reply

larra
on 11/16/14 3:05 am - bay area, CA

You are very fortunate that your surgeon recommended the DS for you. The DS has the best statistics of any bariatric surgery for percentage excess weight loss, for maintaining that weight loss (very important) and for resolution of almost all comorbidities. And while it is standard of care for anyone who meets the medical criteria for bariatric surgery, it is esp beneficial for people with higher bmi's like yourself (not judging, just sayin').

As Val said, the nutritional end of it is almost entirely in your hands. Longterm studies have shown the the rate of nutritional deficiency with the DS is actually very low, and almost always due to noncompliance. Malabsorption does NOT equal malnutrition. If you learn what you need to do to stay healthy, make the commitment to yourself to do this, take all your vitamins and eat plenty of protein, get your labs and adjust your vitamins/minerals as needed, chances are very, very good that you'll be fine.

On the other hand, if you have an operation that is ineffective, or not effective enough, you will be looking into bariatric surgery #3 a few years from now. Is that what you want? Do you really want to remain obese or even MO with your arthritis? You need to get every excess lb possible off that hip, both for the present and for recovery after hip replacement. Let's keep all your risks in perspective - these are much greater risks than malnutrition, as long as you are compliant with your nutritional needs.

Larra

Trying_Again2
on 11/16/14 5:06 pm

Thx, after reading this forum last night i felt this is what i want

* Gail R *
on 11/16/14 4:33 am - SF Bay Area, CA

Exactly what Val and Larra said. I would add that I do have a regret and that is that I didn't know about this wonderful surgery twentyfive years ago. I think I can honestly say the the DS saved my life. 

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

beemerbeeper
on 11/16/14 7:12 am - AL

What Val and Lara said is true to the letter. My only regret is not having done this many years sooner. 

-Becky 

Trying_Again2
on 11/16/14 5:06 pm

Thanks

airbender
on 11/16/14 7:47 am

I hope you get out of the wheelchair soon too.  I would not suggest sleeve only for a post banded patient if you had any complications, scarring, and if you had the band for 9 years I am sure you do.  The ds is your best bet, dont worry about the malnutrition, but I mean respect it and take your vit/min and protein, it is really very difficult to become malnutritioned these days unless you are poorly educated on PO DS and you are non compliant.  very happy that you had a dr that at least offered you the DS.  you will do great!

Trying_Again2
on 11/16/14 5:07 pm

Thank you

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 256 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 737 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 244 views