Has anyone had this experience?

AngelnChains
on 1/11/15 10:24 pm
DS on 11/17/14

Hi there! Im almost 2 months post surgery and to be honest Ive felt I could eat a pretty good portion of at least 1/4 cup if not more since Ive been able to do pureed and soft food, and now suddenly even one cup of greek yogurt is too much? Is this normal after healing? Has anyone experienced this?

Valerie G.
on 1/12/15 1:51 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

It's pretty normal.  Even today 9 yrs out i have my tiny-tummy days and my hollow-leg days.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Brandy G.
on 1/12/15 4:47 am
DS on 08/20/14

Yes.  Perfectly normal.   It's rather mind blowing isn't it!! 

When I got to the "real" food stage, I used to make up my plate just like the pre-surgery days and then I would end up just eating a corner off of it.  If I picked at it, you couldn't even tell that I had removed any food and I would be all stuffed.  After the old timers in the local DS group mentioned it, I have noticed that the foods that are good for my ds body (like steak,duck, et all) I can actually eat a pretty good portion of, but if you mix in almost any rice or starch, I am back to feeling overfull at half a cup. 

The other thing I have noticed about eating post surgery (I'm almost at 5 months) is that I am not consistent.  Foods that work one day will suck the next.  I remember I was frustrated by the fact that it was hard to get detailed food advice off the boards because "every body seems to take a very individual path towards healing" but I wasn't expecting the same inconsistencies for my own body on portion size and type from day to day. 

Just keep plugging along and rejoice that you are almost through the worst of it. 

August 2014 - DS @ Mexicali Bariatric Center / Ungson.
It took me one and a half years to lose 165 pounds.
Weight: High=314, Goal=155, Current=131

AngelnChains
on 1/12/15 5:31 am, edited 1/12/15 5:32 am
DS on 11/17/14

Thanks! Its crazy some days haha, this morning I had 1 boiled egg for breakfast and felt like Id had the full meal at the local Dennys! and your right, yesterday I could tolerate yogurt, today I cant, so Im trying to stick with high protein low carb and as little fat as possible LOL I am however tickled because I had hit a plateau a couple weeks ago and the scales moving again! YIPPIE! now for the weather to break so I can get back outside :D

Shawnern
on 1/12/15 11:19 pm - Rochester, MN

Why the little of fat as possible? We need fats and hardly absorb them. I'm the same as you, one day I could eat every 2 hours, the next day I have to drink protein shakes just to get all my protein in. Our bodies are still wondering what the heck we did to it still at this stage!

AngelnChains
on 1/12/15 11:33 pm
DS on 11/17/14

My dietitian told me low fat, and to be honest Ive noticed when I do eat anything high in fat Im in the bathroom more or I have stomach issues such as bloating, gas, those beautiful sounds LOL 

katygee
on 1/13/15 8:56 am
DS on 11/14/14

You and I are surgery twins - same date!  Only I had the SADI - assuming you had the full DS?  

I was relieved to see we're right on track with each other.  Same weight loss, same issues etc.  

The only thing I can consistently count on for no trouble is a protein shake.  Otherwise it's very touch and go - one day completely different than another.  I've actually been having trouble getting all my water in and my calories are way to low - maybe 600 is all I can manage routinely.  On days I do well with water, get 60 grams protein and over 800 calories I lose.  Days I don't I see very little scale movement.  But it's hard when your tummy won't let you...

Keep up the good work - are you happy so far?  Honestly I expected to be down lower by now but then I remember nothing I ever did before worked so I'm happy.

AngelnChains
on 1/14/15 1:17 am
DS on 11/17/14

O wow we are! thats great :) yes I had the BPD/DS and Im so glad to find someone with the same issues! Not that I wish the issues on anyone but Misery Loves Company! haha I know what you mean  bout the day to day, geez some days I crave bad things and they make me ill if I cave and others I can go with very little food , usually when Im on point with my protein. I worry about eating while at work or when we are out so Im using the Atkins microwave dinners that are high protein and low carb , those seem to work well and I notice the scale is moving again :) Also while Im trying to get all the water in... I spend ALOT of time running to the potty so Ive taken to eating ice in place of drinking it. I eat alot of ice anyway cuz I just love chewing on ice haha they keep track of my iron so Im ok at this point. My dietitian has me doing high protein low carb but I noticed your doing calories counting? That has to be hard???

Im definitely happier now I feel great! But I sure do need to get on the activity department! Ive never been one to exercise so getting on track with that has been a little harder but Im still trying! I cant wait for warmer weather so I can walk at least!  

katygee
on 1/14/15 2:56 am
DS on 11/14/14

I'm not really counting calories per se but I track everything in a food journal on my phone so it automatically fills it in.  I've definitely noticed a correlation between stalls and not having enough calories. To lose it seems I need to stay north of 800, less than that, I stall.  Big time.  

So seems like it should be easy right?  Well unfortunately there are 2 or 3 days a week my tummy hurts so much I can barely eat.  So no not easy.

Now the nice thing is a couple times I'very been able to go higher (the most I've ever done is 1200 so far ) and it doesn't seem to affect weight loss as long as it's high protein.  I don't pay attention to fat but I know I'm malabsorbing tons of fat based on the potty. The only thing I try to keep an eye on avoiding is sugars.  Not even carbs per se but sugars.  But if I can cram all my protein in, I can't get anything else in anyway...  

I've thrown up just once (Christmas day) on just 2 ounces of beef tenderloin.  That was a surprise.  But I've had a few other close calls with real food so I never eat more than a few ounces of anything total (except protein shakes I can do crazy amounts)

Wheat though - I've found out I have intolerance to it.  Major problems in the downstairs.   So I guess it's a blessing in disguise.  I'm certainly not going to have trouble sticking to that part.  It's funny - i didn't notice this before surgery.

But beef.  My love.   My tummy does not take it well right now.  Or pork. So depressing.  But I figure I just need a little more time.  Right now I do fish and really mashed up chicken.

I joined a gym today.  I've been walking but it's time to add weights.  My skin is already a saggy nightmare and I still habe over 100 to loose hopefully.

AngelnChains
on 1/14/15 5:50 am
DS on 11/17/14

I havent thrown up at all thankfully but I have suffered after making bad choices of things high in fat. Ive also become lactose intolerant which makes straight milk a no no although I can eat dairy products.I havent tried wheat or bread products yet. And things definitely taste different! I do alot of chicken, turkey, fish to be honest. Ive been trying to slowly stop the protein shakes and see if I can get the amounts in real food. Im not fond of the taste of protein shakes to be honest. 

It looks like we have almost the same goal as well haha! and Ive already noticed clothes not fitting anymore, saggy stuff, ect. Ive been researching the best ways to tighten up so no skin surgeries but Im already 46 so realistically I may have to later on. Still if I can fight it Im going to try! haha

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 362 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views