DS - Repeated Kidney Stone Problems

travis1985
on 1/13/15 12:14 am - TX

Hello, been a while since I have been out of touch for a while.  Have been very successful with my DS, saved my life.  Have lost 330 lbs.  Setting at a 250 lbs, which is good on my 6 1 frame.

Question, vite levels have been good as well as protein. However, have been having repeated problems with the formation of very large oxalate kidney stones.  I have been upping my water intake, but have been having one stone/year.  Any thoughts or research?

Many thanks

airbender
on 1/13/15 1:19 am

As a DSer, as part of our yearly lab work, a 24 hour urine stone formation should be ordered.  One of the complications of DS (fat malabsorption) is enteric hyperoxaluria.  You should be followed by a nephrologist and should be taking K citrate with every meal, preventative also for a DSer.  K citrate is given to DSers as a preventative measure due to enteric hyperoxaluria in the attempt to preserve the kidneys and to help inhibit stone formation, among other reasons.    Your 24 hr stone urine would have picked up your abnormal results, oxalate and citrate, etc results.   Also look into a good probiotic, VSL#3(DS) as that has been shown to decrease enteric hyperoxaluria in peer reviewed journals.  Hope you feel better.

Huneypie
on 1/13/15 1:55 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

Airbender, what do you mean by "k citrate"?  I've searched on Amazon and Vitacost but to no avail.  TIA

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

Shawnern
on 1/13/15 2:37 am - Rochester, MN

Not sure but I would assume she's talking about potassium citrate. To us chemistry geeks K+ = potassium😎

Huneypie
on 1/16/15 2:20 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

Hmm... would a banana suffice?  I know it wouldn't fly for those aiming to get into ketosis, but I'm attempting Paleo, so a banana would be OK on that plan.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

Valerie G.
on 1/13/15 10:38 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

What comes to mind to me is what kind of calcium are you taking?  If you're taking something other than Calcium Citrate, that may be your contributor.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

A_Whole_New_Me
on 1/13/15 1:20 pm

While I haven't had kidney stones yet (fingers & toes crossed, I don't), I have medium-high oxalate levels. And, because my sister is the most prolific kidney stone producer that any of her doctors has ever seen, I am taking the threat seriously. 

In addition to the other recommendations mentioned, my doctor had me increase my already substantial magnesium levels. I take a combination of magnesium citrate and magnesium glycinate, and, of course, follow a relatively low oxalate diet. It was also recommended that if I did consume something with higher oxalates that I drink even more fluid with it to flu**** out of my system.

Good luck to you! I know how painful they can be.

Tricia

travis1985
on 1/13/15 11:54 pm - TX

Thanks for your comments:

- I have had 24 hour urine studies, 3 times, I have had high oxilates

- I have cut out black tea, pepper, and nuts (my highest oxalate offenders) (nuts , just stopped recently)

- am taking calcium citrate, need to check if I need to update my level

- trying on the water, but I do need to do better in this area.  With the sleeve I cant gulp down the water like I used too

Can you explain more about magnesium  , and the possible need in this situation?

PeteA
on 1/14/15 5:47 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I'm not sure I thought I read something about vitamin K2 helping prevent this but 
I could be off base.  I was never given, or told to take anything, with preventing kidney stones in mind. I'll be interested to see what people say - hoping it will always be just theoretical for me.

Pete

A_Whole_New_Me
on 1/17/15 3:26 pm

Here's a couple of articles to explain the need for magnesium.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6764473

http://drhoffman.com/article/kidney-stones-treatment-and-prevention-2/

Personally I take 750 mg calcium citrate x 3 daily, 400 mg magnesium (oxide, aspartate & glycinate) x 3 daily, prescription potassium MEQ 20 x 2 daily, drink at least 80 oz water with lemon/lime juice and follow a low oxalate diet (spinach, nuts & my favorite low carb chocolate are the hardest to pass up for me).

Tricia

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 252 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 735 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 244 views