parkinson symptoms

mxdadd
on 1/29/15 9:29 am

I just went to a Neurologist he said that I may have the start of parkinsons. I am 7 years post op and Dr K performed my surgery.  I have read some articles that state this might be due to low minerals.  

I have left a message with Dr.K but I have not heard back.

Does anyone have any input or suggestions for me?

Thanks,

Matt

(deactivated member)
on 1/29/15 12:00 pm

Sorry to hear that. Keep in mind that the normal percentage of ailments affecting the rest of the population will also affect the WLS community. With the array of vitamins we all take daily, plus minerals from eating, I would expect to be ok in this area even with malabsorption.

Good luck with your prognosis.

Valerie G.
on 1/29/15 11:09 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Your next step can be some complete bloodwork, then, and you can get that from your PCP.  No need to worry about Dr. K's office.

Depending on what the deficiency is, you may be able to reverse it, but know that some damage may be permanent, so there is no time to waste here.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

larra
on 1/30/15 1:33 am - bay area, CA

Absolutely get all your labs checked and address deficiencies, if any, asap. But keep in mind that anyone can get Parkinson's. It's natural, I believe, for anyone who has had bariatric surgery to jump to the conclusion that whatever problems we subsequently develop could be related to our prior surgery. It's just like cancer patients - any lump or bump or ache or pain, the first thought is that it's somehow related to the cancer. It might be, and sometimes testing is needed to sort things out, but often the new problem has nothing to do with the cancer history.

So get it checked out, and best of luck.

Larra

phatgirl10
on 1/30/15 1:55 am

I'm going through something similar but my symptoms point to MS. I had my B12 checked because if low can mimic MS symptoms. My B12 was over 4,000 4 times the normal so makes me wonder if I'm not absorbing it but not sure. I'm seeing a neurologist and they're not concerned with my labs. My Livwr enzymes are also elevated. I get tingling and burning to my hands and feet and I've lost power to my arm twice. I think next will be MRI but when I know il post something, I could do without all this going into retirement. Hoping for the best, but concerned:(

geri

TheNewT
on 1/30/15 3:26 am
VSG on 08/04/14

Geri,

Did they check your B1? Some of the things you listed sounded like some of my symptoms. I had numbness down the front of my body. My balance was getting worse. I almost fell a few times. Sharp pains would shoot through my legs. Then it extended into feet and finger tips. I got an MRI and the results were good. Got full blood work done and they saw my B1 was drastically low. Keep in mind, it was great before surgery. My values just tanked in 3 months.

Low B1 will cause the peripheral neuropathy I have still in my feet. I got on a B1 vitamin and neurotin and I can tell some of the symptoms are reversing. The numbness is only in my thumbs and from knee down to my feet. The pain is localized in my toes. Hopefully it can continue to improve!

phatgirl10
on 1/30/15 4:17 am

Don't think I did B1, I just don't like the tingling my hands feet, head and sometimes mid body. It is so low getting tests done, I will check on B1, going to see my PMD next week, it just hit me from left field, and just depressing because my mind is going crazy!! I have young kids and this is not what I imagined for myself

Carmelita
on 1/30/15 5:13 am, edited 1/30/15 5:24 am - Four Corners, NM
sunshine1968
on 3/13/16 7:05 pm

It's been some time since you posted. I hope that you are doing well and I'm curious if you checked for B1 deficiencies at all. 

mxdadd
on 10/16/16 4:32 pm, edited 10/16/16 9:33 am

I'm fighting with my meds not working and struggling to get answers. I'm reaching out to everyone for help. Nothing is presently working and I am convinced that the GRDS may be the issue why it has been hard for me to find relief. Also being a Kaiser patient is not helping. Still wondering if anyone else has been diagnosed. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 266 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 742 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 250 views