Switch or Bypass?

Mstay1985
on 2/26/15 6:31 am - Birmingham, AL

Okay can I get you all's opinion on which you think is better for the super obese. Not sure of my weight exactly but I calculate my bmi is between 113 and 127. So it's very high. I know that the DS shows more weight loss but with greater risks. Do the risks outweigh the worth? I am researching now. I know Medicare covers both. Though I'm sure the costs are different so it would change my out of pocket but im more worried about what is best for me health wise. 

If if anyone had it, did they do open or laporiscopic? If anyone had open, how was the recovery time?

Any input is valued.

Btw, I have done the research, I just want to hear from actual people that have had the Switch or even people that have been super obese (and I mean over 500 lbs) and have done very well with the Bypass. 

Monique

beemerbeeper
on 2/26/15 2:09 pm - AL

Hey Monique. I live in Montgomery. There are no DS surgeons in Alabama. I just wanted to throw that out there. About to crash for the night. Let's talk tomorrow. Have you chosen a surgeon?

Mstay1985
on 2/26/15 2:45 pm - Birmingham, AL

Hi I know of at least two that have them listed on their website as being done in their practice in Birmingham. I though I saw someone in Huntsville too. You do mean duodenal switch right? I think some are starting to list them as an option because more insurance companies are starting to cover it. 

Huneypie
on 2/27/15 1:08 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

You only want to consider the surgeons on DSfacts.com You don't to be a non-vetted surgeon's guinea pig.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

Mstay1985
on 2/27/15 1:20 am - Birmingham, AL
I checked that website before and they don't endorse any of the doctors and they have a disclaimer that all may not be listed. I only mean to say that there may be other people. I would not mind a surgeon who has not done thousands if he is honest and I trust his skills otherwise. Someone has to be a first. I will be being cautious but will not be leaving the state.
CGCL
on 2/27/15 2:53 am
RNY on 02/19/15

This sounds scary to me! The surgeon's experience in the DS is extremely important, especially with a difficult or risky case like yours may be. I really hope you'll consider looking at nearby states for a surgeon who knows exactly what they are doing.

Height: 6'0" HW 5/2013 295. Consult 7/29/14 275. SW 261. RNY 2/19/15. M1:-33! M2:-13.5. M3:-12. M4:-10.8. M5:-9.7. M6:-5. M7: -4.5. Pregnant 8/15-5/16. 10 weeks post partum: 173.

beemerbeeper
on 2/27/15 2:41 am - AL

Just because it is on the website doesn't mean they can do it. They will tell you you need what they can do it worse yet promise you a DS and do something else. There is a list if vetted DS surgeons that the large DS community know do the DS and have experience doing it. What you need to ask is 1. How many DS have they done. 2. who did they train under. i think the vetted surgeon list is on DSFacts I had to go to Georgia. I have never heard of a DS surgeon in Alabama, Mississippi, Louisianna or Florida. My surgeon near Atlanta iz apparently moving to Florida. 

Mstay1985
on 2/27/15 3:00 am - Birmingham, AL

Thank you for your input. I will think about it all. It may set me back on when I can have the surgery, but it will be worth it to,do it right to get the best results.

Valerie G.
on 2/26/15 9:16 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

It's not just our opinion that DS is better, but long-term statistics prove that it's best for long-term results of maintained weight loss.  In the hands of an experienced DS surgeon, the risks of DS are no worse than that of RNY. 

My DS was done open and it really wasn't a big deal at all.  My incision was glued all the way down and healed in 2 weeks.  The rest of my recovery, however, took an additional 3 weeks, for I was just very listless.  If you really want to give it a shot at Laparoscopic, I highly recommend the Rabkins in San Francisco.  They have the equipment for the SMO and have done it lap on them where other surgeons insist on doing it open or in two surgeries instead of one.  Unless you have some significant health problems, you want to get it done all at once if you can.

That being said - I'd like to warn you about what some unscrupulous surgeons are pulling on their patients.  Some are recommending to do a sleeve on you first, saying they will complete the DS later when they never did the DS before.  There is also another procedure you'll see mentioned around here as SADI-S.   It's also known as the Loop DS.  This is an up-and-coming procedure only a year or so old, so no long-term data.  They have figured out how to code it to get paid for it.  Unfortunately, when the insurance figures it out, someone may be charged with fraud, which is what the concern is all about.

So, given your size and the fact that there are no surgeons in AL that are known for the DS, I would highly recommend that you seek out an expert in the field to minimize your risks.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Mstay1985
on 2/26/15 10:12 pm - Birmingham, AL

Thank you for the information. I heard SADI mentioned on a forum somewhere but wasn't sure what it was. I will not be having anything but either RNY or DS. If I do not trust any of the doctors in my area for DS, then RNY would be my only option as traveling to a doctor is not an option for me. I will only meet doctors after some research and then follow my gut. I know it sounds crazy but I figure some of these well established doctors have too much to lose that makes lying to me stupid. Please believe I don't make decisions without careful thought and research. 

I just like to get practical input from someone who actually had the surgery. I have never met a DS patient that I know of. RNY is so tried and true that it is what I commonly hear about unless money is an issue and I hear about lap band in the past and sleeve now. I am sure those can be great tools, but I know they are not for me. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 265 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 740 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 249 views