I *hate* the DS .vs. SADI debate...

Brandy G.
on 2/26/15 2:57 am
DS on 08/20/14

The answer might be for me to just toughen up, but perhaps could the SADI people get their own forum? 

I have nothing against the people that choose to go with the SADI. But, it seems to me that the DS forum is the one place on OH that we shouldn't need to be defensive about our surgery choice.  I want a home.  Occasionally, I read pro-SADI posts and wonder if I should have gone that direction, and although it's weak of me, I really hate that regretful feeling.  I generally come to this board to be inspired.  

I understand their need to cheerleader their beloved surgery, but I hate that they do it at the expense of my beloved surgery.   I hate to watch the pre-surgery people come in and get all confused as well, although a part of me is happy they are getting more information, I just wi**** came separated from all hype, if that is even possible.   It wouldn't surprise me, people being the way they are, if several DS people would hang out in the SADI forum and debate it.  So, in the long run, all I'm doing is moving the debate, but in my selfish opinion, it would be worth it for a more peaceful OH home. 

Thanks.  Sorry if I offended anybody. 

August 2014 - DS @ Mexicali Bariatric Center / Ungson.
It took me one and a half years to lose 165 pounds.
Weight: High=314, Goal=155, Current=131

PeteA
on 2/26/15 4:06 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Never get defensive about your choice. Don't think any of my following comments area criticism I just see things a little differently and I think it is an interesting area for discussion. 

I don't think this is an offensive post. I'm just not sure your answer is the right one, only because I think there are many issues that can be the same post-op for both the DS and the SADI. Until there is a longer track record for the SADI and more patients I think this might be the best place for them to get help.  If SADI people want their own board that would be OK with me but I have no problem with them being on this board.

I think, or I would like to think, the "debate" portion of discussions is mostly over and we have moved to a "here is what we know" conversation. It is hard to discuss the pros and cons without seeming to debate them both. Some of this is mainly because the DS has a longer history than the SADI with specific statistical results people can point to and the SADI just doesn't yet. And, of course, we are all invested in the fact that we made the right choice for us. 

It's funny how different people can view things differently. I usually view the SADI people as getting the short end of the stick on most conversations on the DS board.

It might be because I have no real regrets over my DS but I don't consider the SADI people as putting down my surgery just because they have been told by their surgeons that it is supposed to eliminate some of the complications people can have with the DS. The surgeons that prefer a longer CC for the DS (180+) say that too and nobody thinks that means having a shorter CC channel was a bad choice.

another thing is that when you are choosing WL surgery there are so many emotional issues that you almost have to become wildly favorable of your choice. If you weren't you might not ever get any kind of WLS.

For myself, I don't know if the SADI will end up any better than the DS. My own opinion is that it will end up being better than the gastric bypass and not as good as the DS. So maybe each will target different patients for different reasons.

I'm happy that the decision I made at the time was the best one I could make when taking all my options under consideration. Certainly better than staying heavy 5 or 6 years to see how the SADI people turn out.

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

beemerbeeper
on 2/26/15 5:56 am - AL

I've been reading all the posts here for quite a while now except for bites and vites. I haven't seen any discussions about DS v SADI. what am I missing?  I would like to be educated about how the SADI folks are doing and how their postop eating and vites differ from the DS. 

B

Mstay1985
on 2/26/15 6:34 am - Birmingham, AL

I am slightly new as in that I don't post often and this is my first time really viewing outside of general topics, but what is SADI?

I don't mean to start a debate, just can you write the entire name out and I will look it up myself if need be.

PeteA
on 2/27/15 3:57 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Here is a link to a blog post by Dr. Keseshian about the SADI from June - 2014. It starts about halfway down the page. 

http://blog.dssurgery.com/2014_06_01_archive.html

I think he has a reasonable take on it. He still prefers the DS but has clear reasons why.

Pete

Valerie G.
on 2/26/15 6:23 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I think it's a great idea.  Not only will it give the SADI patients a place to gather outside of the DSers, but they can collectively share information relevant to them instad of guessing if DS guidelines are applicable. 

Perhaps if OH named a SADI group, the unscrupulous surgeons would stop selling it as a DS (loop DS, modified DS, etc), which is what sparks most of the debate.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Brandy G.
on 2/26/15 6:57 am
DS on 08/20/14

Here is a current rather typical thread: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/5305725/Update-On-quotM y-Experience-With-The-SADIquot/

For the confused:  The SADI is another type of diet surgery that takes place in the same general region as the DS, but it has a very different philosophy and mechanics.  I think common wisdom is that it is too new to be considered anything other than experimental but promising.   I won't go into any more details, because I don't think there is common agreement on anything else. 

August 2014 - DS @ Mexicali Bariatric Center / Ungson.
It took me one and a half years to lose 165 pounds.
Weight: High=314, Goal=155, Current=131

southernlady5464
on 2/27/15 1:34 am

There are other places with a dedicated SADI/LoopDS/SIPS area.

I think what most aggravates the traditional DS'ers is that many surgeons are not being upfront about it and are calling it "JUST like a DS". And while it is similar in that it is a malabsorptive sleeve procedure. it is not the same as the DS. People getting the SADI need to be told by their surgeons exactly what it is.

I HONESTLY hope it replaces the RNY but leaves the traditional DS as an option.

But then again, there was, long ago, the BDP and then Dr. Hess made it the DS but many (esp surgeons) still call it the BPD/DS. I bet the first DS'ers got the BPD'ers all upset.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Valerie G.
on 3/1/15 6:20 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

You need to read that poster's original thread where she believes she has been given the SADI without her knowledge or consent.  THIS is the peoblem with SADI on that thread...and she is not getting the results she was expecting with her DS.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

PattyL
on 2/27/15 2:51 am

Weight loss surgery, like everything else, has to evolve.  Sooner or later, something bigger and better than the DS will come along and all of us will wish we had it.  So far, I don't think the SADI is 'it', but I have been wrong before and certainly will be wrong again.  A million years ago, Dr. Buchwald told me the answer had to be a pill of some kind.  A wonder drug that would allow everyone to reach their ideal weight and stay there.  Haven't seen that yet either.

I hope the SADI works well but first reports aren't all that promising.  Probably better than the RNY but it doesn't appear to have the efficacy of the DS.  My only real issue with the SADI is that some physicians are saying it is the DS when it is not!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 105 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 655 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 233 views