Anyone revised from Band to VSG and now to DS? or just VSG to DS?

Heather M.
on 3/31/15 12:01 pm, edited 3/31/15 12:20 pm - Rosedale, MD

My band from 2006 slipped in 2009 and was so bad it wasn't worth corrected. Doc cleaned out a ton of scar tissue and then revised to VSG. At that time I was told that if I couldn't lose enough weight that we could do the second half of DS, which I'm now going for a consult in May. Looking for anyone who has done this already for your experience.

Revised to VSG (6/11/09) weighing 253...

larra
on 3/31/15 2:00 pm - bay area, CA

I'm sorry the band didn't work out for you long term, though not surprised. It has the highest reoperation rate of any bariatric surgery, just so many failures and/or complications, as you experienced. And while sleeve has better results, a lot of people are seeking revisions from that also.

If your surgeon was who I think it was, he no longer does the DS, and you will need to look elsewhere. Dr. Elariny in VA has a very good reputation, and there is also a group newer to the DS in your general area at Winchester Bariatrics. I don't know whether or not they do revisions, but you can surely ask.

Larra

Heather M.
on 3/31/15 11:36 pm - Rosedale, MD

Hi Larra! LOL My surgeon is Dr. Schweitzer here at Bayview. While I keep hearing from the wls community that he no longer does DS I've been told that he can do the second half of the DS if he already did the sleeve. I have my consult with him in May, but I also just emailed Pat Jordan to get clarification on whether or not he can do the second half of the real DS or not. In her original email she said:

"You may be a candidate for the 2nd stage in which a portion of small intestine is bypassed. Please make appt to see us at Greenspring. Make sure the secretary that takes your call sends you a lab slip prior to visit."

If he will not do a true DS I will cancel my consult and look elsewhere.

Heather

larra
on 4/1/15 2:55 am - bay area, CA

If this is the same Dr. S who was at Johns Hopkins, I'm sure he is capable of doing the DS. The issue is that he stopped doing it several years ago. I don't know the reasons. I do know that even a couple who were approved and had dates for their DS set up were phoned and told he would not do their DS. They had already made arrangements for time off work for themselves or spouses, child care, etc and were very upset.

If he's willing to do the switch part of the DS for you that's great, but I'll be very surprised.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 108 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 657 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 233 views