Happy 4th everyone! Just an update

bigmikebigfoothunter
on 7/4/15 8:42 am
DS on 03/10/14

well I haven't posted in a while just wanted to say hello to everyone. I read a lot still just haven't been posting much. My health isn't very well due to ruptured appendix in January and several surgeries since.anyway today I just wanted to say thanks to everyone here on the board. As we celebrate our independence today I'm thankful for all of our freedoms we take for granted. Even this website in some countries would be hard to access . For those of you that have faith like myself I just hold on to the belief that everything will work itself out. I am so thankful for the knowledge that each of you contribute to this board. As for the statistics wich I don't care much about anymore I now weigh 214 was 478 I'm so thankful for that blessing. If I can add any experience to the newbies I would say this . You will absolutely have to read , learn and share your experiences with others and become your own ADVOCATE because most doctors simply have know understanding of our DS surgery and the effects on how to treat us post surgery. I'm kind of a mellow laid back kinda guy and I've learned that I have to speak up to my doctors and keep them on track with my needs. I learned this by reading many other posts on here over the last year and a half. This year that advice has probably saved my life realizing that doctors are human and don't know everything. If they diagnose you or give you medication etc. read and double check facts and interject things to them that you may not be comfortable with. It seems after I have had this surgery every time I see a doctor they just want to say" oh must be your weight loss surgery" it's an easy out for them to push you down the road. Make sure that you find doctors that will actually look for real problems and solutions!!!!! 

Anyway that may seem like a long useless ramble to some of you but when you vets explained it to me I didn't think much about it. In January if I wouldn't have demanded further testing when my appendix ruptured I wouldn't be here now!!!!!!!! Thank you all for the great posts after all of my surgeries now I have IBS wich basically means they have no idea why I'm so messed up!!! Some of you guys have got me through some really tough days just by reading your posts . I just wanted more than anything to say thank you to all of my friends that I have never met! Special thanks to Pete he has always been such a blessing to this board and myself!!!!

on 7/4/15 2:27 pm

Wow you have done well.

thank you for the advise

VSG TO DS REVISION 

MajorMom
on 7/6/15 2:13 am - VA

Great post!  : )   Glad you're still with us. Way to stand up for yourself.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

PeteA
on 7/6/15 8:37 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Mike - Great post. So sorry to hear about the ruptured appendix and all the post appendix problems. I hope ypu are on your way back to health. The Doctor train can seem pretty unending when you are in the middle of it.  I go back and forth myself and treasure the times when things are all stable.

Great thought about advocacy for yourself. You just never know what areas a Doctor may not be thinking of when they make decisions or judgments. I too would rather sit back and just tell them to "fix" me but you get to the point where you realize even the best intentioned Docs need to be reminded about things that are unique to you.

Feel better bus. Keep the faith.

Pete

(deactivated member)
on 7/7/15 8:34 pm

Mike, God bless man, and post more often. It helps me knowing people like you are out there providing a positive message for everyone.

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 363 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views