Medicine Absorption

Petunia
on 7/22/15 4:32 am

I recently had knee surgery and needed more pain meds during my stay in the hospital.  The last time I had surgery was 9 years ago when I had the DS and at that time I didn't need much in the way of pain meds.  I've been thinking about this and have my 2 week appointment on Friday and was wondering if we absorb pain pills the same way as before or if they are absorbed at a different rate?  

I also have questions on osteoporsis and the DS, is there any active forum on this topic about treating and which medicines work best for us?

Thank you for any information,

Ruby

Valerie G.
on 7/22/15 4:36 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Absorption rates definitely vary, but there is no exact answer as to how much you need.  You may want to try some transdermal alternatives and bypass digestion all together.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

rargirl
on 7/22/15 10:07 pm

Hi Ruby. I had a rough time managing my pain following lower body lift surgery. I had to have a pain pump installed which worked wonders for me. For anti inflammatories I have found that gel caps work better for me than capsules or tablets. I am sorry to hear you are in pain. 

(deactivated member)
on 7/22/15 10:08 pm

I specifically discussed this with my surgeon prior to surgery, and the answer was that medicine is fully absorbed prior to malabsorption. 

I would take it with a grain of salt as I only use this type of info as a guideline. 

larra
on 7/23/15 9:10 am - bay area, CA

With the DS we do ok with most meds but don't absorb extended release meds well. I've also seen people need to have anti-depressant meds adjusted after the DS. Most other meds though (pain meds, antibiotics, etc) we do fine.

Response to pain meds is very individual, though, even in people who have never had any kind of bariatric surgery. So, if one med doens't work well for you, or isn't well tolerated, let your doc know right away and try another.

Larra

Petunia
on 7/23/15 10:14 am

Thank you for all the replies, I'm happy to know that most drugs are absorbed before the malabsorption.  I had good pain relief in the hospital but was just surprised that I needed the extra pill to be more comfortable.  Every nurse that came in to give me meds asked if I took pain meds at home which I don't or didn't.  That got me to thinking I was needing more than normal and the only thing I could think of was the malabsorption.  

Thank you again,

Ruby

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 258 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 738 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 246 views