Hello from Chicago area :)

aserena76
on 7/31/15 3:31 pm - Streamwood, IL

Hello everyone. Just decided yesterday to have a revision done to my lap band and and trying to find out information between differences of gastric bypass and DS and if anyone cares to share their stories. I would appreciate it  Amy

Amy Michelle

larra
on 7/31/15 9:08 pm - bay area, CA

DS and gastric bypass are very different operations, with very different results.

the DS has the best statistics of any bariatric surgery for percentage excess weight loss, for maintaining that weight loss, and for resolution of almost all comorbidities. It works well for anyone who qualifies medically for bariatric surgery but is especially valuable for people with higher bmi's. In addition to working better than gastric bypass, it avoids the nasty side effect of dumping, which happens to some (not all) people with gastric bypass, and is NOT a weight loss tool but just a very unpleasant side effect.

with the DS you can also take NSAID's. with gastric bypass they are contraindicated for the rest of your life. NSAIDs are one of the most commonly used drug classes, so if you don't need them now, you may in the future.

You have the good fortune to live in the area of two well known DS surgeons: Dr. Prachand and Dr. Alverdy. Many people have to travel to get the DS. IMHO it's well worth the effort.

Keep on reading and learning about your options so you can make a well informed decision. I will also send you a pm.

Larra

aserena76
on 8/1/15 3:35 am - Streamwood, IL

Thanks Larra. I appreciate all the helpful information. What are NSAIDs?

Amy Michelle

larra
on 8/1/15 8:48 am - bay area, CA

NSAIDs are non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. This is a big and very commonly prescribed class of drugs that includes Motrin, Naprosyn, Toradol and a host of others. Some dosages are prescription and some are over the counter. They are used for arthritis, headaches and other causes of pain. This class of drugs is either the most commonly used or second most commonly used in the USA, so not being able to use them is a big deal. Aspirin is chemically very different from the other drugs I've named but is also an NSAID.

Many MO people have arthritis, or develop arthritis as the years go on. Finding a good substitute for NSAIDs can be difficult. You are stuck with either Tylenol, which doesn't work so well for a lot of people, or narcotics, which have their own set of problems.

Larra

aserena76
on 8/1/15 3:16 pm - Streamwood, IL

Thanks for the information....I remember this from my lap band surgery now that you mention it, but Tylenol always worked for me. I am hearing horrible horror stories from coworkers of mine about common side effects and complications that many people have had after the DS...did you have any or through your journey what was the hardest thing? Sorry if I am getting a little personal..if you do not want to share with me I understand. Just trying to get as prepared as possible. 

Amy Michelle

(deactivated member)
on 8/1/15 4:27 pm

You'll get a lot of variation of opinions here but I would suggest you talk to your doctor about a newer variation of the DS called a SADi DS. It includes a much longer common channel (350 to 400 cms) vs 50 to 150 cms on a standard DS. The procedure is less complicated to perform and has very strong results with fewer side effects.

i was a lightweight at 6"1 just under 300 lbs in Nov 2014, and I'm at 158lbs now. I'm hoping to start gaining a little back soon, but ok for now. 

I have all the same requirements and issues as any DS patient, but generally to a much lesser extent so far.

Anyhow, I'm just throwing it out there for you to discuss with your doctor. 

Jim

PeteA
on 8/1/15 9:01 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Larra was spot on about the differences. The DS is a slightly more complicated procedure than the bypass but keeping your stomach intact is one of the biggest advantages along with the greater malabsorption.

I had my DS a about 2 years ago. Hit my weight goal and then popped up about 10 lbs and I am starting to work on that. I would say the first 3 to 6 months were the worst for me. It is hard to tell what is just a byproduct of healing and what you live with long term.

You'll probably hear a lot about BM's and gas.  It is one of the topics people want to consider over the long term. My bowels were fairly unpredictable for the first 2 months but only once uncontrollable. Things eventually settled  down and now I have 1 to 2 BM's a day unless I eat something high sugar or very high fat and I know what to expect at that point. Sometimes pretty smelly still and sometimes not. Using air freshener and things like that are pretty second nature by now. It hasn't been as big a problem as I worried about pre-op.

Vitamins are another area that are initially overwhelming but get to be just another thing after a while. You pick a starting point and watch your labs to make adjustments. There are more vitamins with the DS than with the bypass but very manageable.

I wouldn't give back my DS for anything. It's major surgery and you run some risks with either the DS or bypass.

I don't think the SADI that someone mentioned is controversial. Less researched than the traditional DS or bypass. In my mind it is just another step on the continuum between the bypass and the traditional DS. A lot depends on your dieting history as to if you need the extra malabsorption of the traditional DS or you can get by with less. Something to think about and discuss with your surgeon.

Not sure I really answered your questions but ask away and people will chime in on more specifics.

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 267 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 742 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 250 views