Probiotics, especially VSL#3

k__
on 8/21/15 10:43 pm - Bellevue, WA
DS on 08/06/15

So I'm looking at different options to control gas and odor, etc., now that I've had the DS.  I know many control it with diet, but I'd like to head off the one or two year trial and error period for that approach. Also, I love my salads and veggies and would hate to have to majorly restrict them because of a gassy side effect. There seems to be a consensus here that VSL#3 is a solution that is pretty much no fail. There is both an over the counter variety and prescription strength. I'm wondering if anyone has tried the non-prescription type, and whether that has worked? My health insurance is very limited for coverage, so it may not make any cost difference for me to go prescription vs. non-prescription.  Thanks for your input!

MajorMom
on 8/22/15 2:38 am - VA

I've tried both but I was using the OTC kind when I was just getting started and I thought I was getting worse. I think I was wrong, I think it was just my body trying to get rid of the bad bugs while adding the good bugs. It took over 2 weeks on the OTC type for my body to somewhat adjust and then I switched to the prescription. The prescription seemed to work wonders quickly over the OTC but it may have just been my body trying to adjust. Now I can switch between OTC and prescription and my body is very happy.  Perhaps getting started on the prescription for 30+ days or so and then switching to the OTC would work better and might be worth the initial investment. My perfect dose per day seems to be 1/2 teaspoon twice a day, which is about 300 billion bugs per 1/2 tsp, and about 2/3 of a packet. What I ended up doing about the cost was signing up for my company's flexible spending account plan when we had an open season. But you're right, the dang stuff is expensive. 

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Vikki C.
on 8/24/15 6:44 pm

I use Beano with the first bite of gas-producing salad or veggies, and it really helps.  I've used it for years.

~Vikki~

katinhouston
on 8/25/15 5:38 am - Houston, TX

I am also wondering about VSL #3. I take an OTC probiotic once a day currently but often have 4-5 bowel movements a day and a lot of gas with Vegs and salads which I love. I have found myself eating less and less of those foods and would love to know if VSL3 has helped people with these problems? 

Also, I am still losing weight and would like to lose 30 lbs more. Did taking vsl3 speed up or slow down your weight loss? Increase or decrease your bowel movements?

Thank you for any responses-I truly appreciate any wisdom you can pass on!!!!!

MajorMom
on 8/26/15 2:56 am - VA

I was already in maintenance when I started taking VSL#3 DS but I haven't noticed any weight gain that wasn't my own doing. I'm able to eat salad and veggies without any issues. At first BMs increased but that was likely due to the bad bugs leaving and being replaced by good bugs. Just know that it may take a month or so for your system to get used to the new probiotic but don't give up. VSL#3 DS is a godsend.

--gina

******GOAL*******

Join us on the
Lightweights Board!

katinhouston
on 8/26/15 7:25 am - Houston, TX

Thanks for the response! So does it basically allow your stomach better handle the roughage? Less gas and stomach upset with those foods? Is that why it is a so great for us?

Thanks again!

MajorMom
on 8/26/15 1:11 pm - VA

Yes, exactly.  : )

******GOAL*******

Join us on the
Lightweights Board!

Most Active
Recent Topics