SIPS/SADI questions

uscma15
on 8/24/15 6:10 pm - LA

Hello all,  I had RNY in 2002 and lost about 100lbs from 375 to 275.  Have not gained anything but stuck at 275 for years.  Had my stoma repaired in  2009 or so I thought it was repaired but never felt anything different afterward. I am scheduled to see a surgeon who does the SIPS/SADI procedure and I am going to shot for that revision as my insurance company has approved this visit.  So, my question is there anyone out here in DS land that has had the SIPS/SADI as a revision from the RNY?  I really do not want the band over bypass and would rather have the DS but my insurance wont approve at this point and no docs within my network area are doing it. I had both my hips replaced in 2009 as well after an accident so I am really trying to get my weight under control. Any info appreciated :)

(deactivated member)
on 8/24/15 8:02 pm

You're SIPS/SADi surgeon is fully qualified to perform the standard DS procedure. If they say they aren't, you should find another surgeon as they'd have no business performing a SADi. If your insurance company will pay for a SADi, they will pay for a DS; but you may have to appeal their decision a couple of times before they cave in and approve. Ultimately insurance companies do not want the liability for denying a procedure your doctor recommends.

I had the SADi in Nov 2014 and it's been very effective for me. I went in for the standard DS and was talked into the SADi for reasons I agreed with. My BMI has gone from a 40 to a 20 in 9 months, so it's worked for me.

Ultimately, it's personal decision for you'll live with for a long time so talk to a surgeon about both, and submit the one you decide is best to insurance, and be prepared to apeal a couple of times.

Good luck!

uscma15
on 8/24/15 8:09 pm - LA

Thanks for your reply.  I think with this surgeon it is his preference not to perform thr DS but will do the SIPS/SADI. I dont want to try and force him to do a DS revision from RNY if he prefers not to do them.  Thats why Im looking at the Sips for the revision.  I just want to make sure I have all the infor I need before aI move forward.  I go next week for first appt with him and that is where I plan to ask or make known that I would like the sips revision to RNY  Im hoping that there are others on here that have had rny to sips revisions.  So glad I found this procedure as I was really thinking hard about the band over bypass :/

PeteA
on 8/25/15 5:22 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

While it is an interesting question to ask I don't think ther eis anything to be gained by trying to get a Doc to go outside his comfort zone.  I think the big issue for you is does he do revisions and how many has he done. From everything I've heard revisions are a more difficult process for the surgeon. 

The band seems to be the worst choice among all WLS surgeries at the moment so I would think very hard if that is one of your possibilities. I have a traditional DS but it does sound like the SADI might do well for you.

Good luck with the Doc.

Pete

uscma15
on 8/25/15 7:52 am - LA

Definitely Pete, I agree.  I'm at the point where I am grateful that my insurance is willing to pay for another revision.  The first one was a total failure and I wish that I would have researched it more.  My restriction seems to be little to none even with having my stoma repaired in 2009.  I'm so worried that I wont be able to get something that works.  Having said that I have mananged to stay at the same weight since my original RNY in 2002, but I need to finish this journey for the sake of my health, especially my hips.  Thanks all formthe great info/support.. I will keep posted after my appt next week.

SWEETMEL7
on 8/25/15 6:55 am - NY

Hi! How are you? I have not had a revision but I had the SADI on 12/3/13. HW 268 and I am at 110 lbs. It took me fourteen months to get to my goal. I went from a size 22/24 to 00/0. I am very careful about what I eat.  I eat ,Higher fat and protein meals.  The foods I loved post op I can't stand now. Post op , I would always love chicken/Turkey. Now, it doesn't appeal to me ,anymore. I love prime rib, all beef chilli with no beans, and fish. The meat  and fish I eat are higher in fat. (Salmon, red snapper, Chilean sea bass, and tuna. My carb intake is about 20/30 a day. Pasta, bread, rice ,corn and peas don't appeal to me anymore. I stick with fish, meat, and cheese. I love the surgery. No complaints here! 

uscma15
on 8/25/15 7:54 am - LA

Thanks for the reply :).  Congrats on your weightloss! Hoping for the best with my situation. I will keep posted..

Pianolover
on 8/26/15 9:54 pm

I haven't had a revision but I've had the SADI. about 6 months out and total of about 110 lost! I don't know what your specific questions are about it. message me if you want to talk specifics :)

HW: 291 --- SW (3/10/15): 264 --- CW (12/31/15) 153

chevtow41
on 8/27/15 5:45 pm
DS on 11/11/14

Revisions are a serious matter. I'd really look for a very experienced revision surgeon, even if that means a fight with the insurance company.

uscma15
on 8/27/15 6:37 pm - LA

Definatley, since I had a failed one already.  I have been at this since 2008 when my first revision didnt take.  Praying that I get all the info I need and answers to my questions.  I know that nothing is 100%, my quest is for health, mainly so that my hips will last longet and I wont have to go through again anytime soon :)

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 296 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 768 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 255 views