Weight gain

Melissa H.
on 10/1/15 7:41 am

I had duodenal switch in June of 2004.  I did great with the surgery I had lost 237lbs. Recently within the last year to year and half I have regained approximately 100lbs.  My surgeon retired years ago.  I am clueless as to what I should do or where to start. I have tried changing my diet with little to no result.  Some one stated I should contact my surgeon, but with him being retired now I'm not certain what I should do.   Any advice would greatly be appreciated.   Thank you

K P.
on 10/1/15 12:00 pm
DS on 07/08/14

Try a few days of extremely low carbs. Like 20-50mg a day total. I have heard that helps for some people. 

HW 284; SW 270; CW 152; Revised GW 140-160  

PeteA
on 10/4/15 12:28 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Let's start with the basics.

Are your labs OK? No vitamin problems that you know of?

At 11 years out you've probably lost some of your mal absorption but it never completely goes away. When you say you've tried changing your diet, what have you tried and for how long?

A 100 lbs over a year and a half would be 5 or 6 pounds a month. It might not take a lot to reverse that trend. You still have to think it won't be fast like right after your DS but should be doable.

The first place to start diet wise would be low carb, high protein with lots of liquids. I would try posting your daily intake into the Bites and vits daily post for a while. Sometimes it is enough to have to write it down to see where you may be making problems for yourself. I haven't tried it myself but I've seen some people do well on IF (intermittent fasting). The kind where you're eating is restricted to certain hours of the day.

Is your stomach still constricted at all or can you eat pretty much whatever quantity you want?

In addition to bites and vits if you have smart phone you might try an app like MyFitnessPal (free) to track food and exericse. I really like it.

What about exercise? Are you doing anything at all?

sweetpotato1959
on 10/5/15 8:14 pm

Melissa, I know where you are coming from.. I had a combination surgery.. a pouch, d/s and a colon removal of large portion.. my surgeon was George Cowan, and I had surgery i*****

Like you, about 3 years ago, I started on the way up and did get it under control with carb restriction, increased protein,increased fluids(no calorie,plain/lemon water), an activity change, and I increased my supplements. I added B complex sublingual, magnesium, calcium citrate...D3,...calcium citrate was recommended after I had been on this site and e-mailed my retired surgeon.. more knowledge of absorbtion post by-pass procedure prompted him to change recommendations from calcium in the form of Tums to the citrate form. after gastric surgery the D2 forms are not absorbed.. I have had a stressful 3 years due to my family being sick and having increased responsibility for their care, as the stress is relieved, the weigh is coming off. Over the past 6 months I have lost 22 lbs... no changes, just relief of stress.I am continuing to make wise choices.and avoid offending foods.

If you have access to your original gastric follow-up diet/maintainence diet...that should include your protein goals. Mine for 5'5 medium frame are 90 Gms.. That might be a good place for you to begin for a couple of weeks til you get past the cravings. Remember, Vitamin B complex is destroyed by the stomach acids/ so take a sublingual and it will help with your cravings.

My advise is to re-dedicate yourself to taking care of YOU. Start the exercise program again, start slow, get a buddy to walk the block with, or walk the length of your drive several times... Hope these tips help you to get back on track. If I can help just send me a note back... Denise

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 147 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 690 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 237 views