A couple of days from consulation for DS surgery.

andersonml
on 10/6/15 4:27 pm

I am a nervous wreck. This is just the consulation with the Dr. and then we set the date for the surgery. I having doubts about whether I can do this or not. My goals are obtainable like feeling lighter, healthier, being able to see the numbers drop on the scale. These things will happen after just a few pounds lost. I am looking forward to everything being better...well, maybe not everything but I will be so happy with the small things. I wonder if I am already mourning the loss of a life-style and the food I will no longer eat. I don't really enjoy eating now, it just interrupts my day and food no longer taste good. I eat because it use to feel good but no longer. This is a major shift in my life, will I be up to it? Has anyone else had a sense of loss at this point in their journey to better health?

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 10/7/15 7:46 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Hi,

I had RYN bypass 9 months ago and I had some of those feelings after surgery, so it is a good opportunity to sort through things before surgery. You seem to be sorting through several issues. Looking back, this video would have helped me think through the need for surgery, from a medical point. This doctor was not my doctor (I had mine done in NJ), but he is consistent with my doctor (who is excellent, but does not have videos on line).

I hope this helps. This video is general and focuses on the patient.

http://drmatthewweiner.com/should-i-have-a-weight-loss-surgery-procedure/http://drmatthewweiner.com/should-i-have-a-weight-loss-surge ry-procedure/

PS For me WLS was a game changer. Before surgery, I was a discouraged failed dieter and never thought I could lose another pound. I am now at my goal weight and not diet-fatigued and staying on the program with only minor slips. I took the process seriously, did the research so I knew what I was getting into long-term. It is VERY important that you know the changes you will need to make after surgery and commit to yourself to do them - vitamins, fluid, protein, exercise, stopping eating when you have had enough, etc.

Sharon

PeteA
on 10/7/15 8:45 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

We all have some of those love/hate feelings about food. Since you are on the DS forum I think it allows ofr the widest range of food after the surgery. Not right away, and probably not for a while, but eventually.

I found the surgery itself seemed to alter some of my cravings for food. There was just so much to learn and cope with right away that I didn't think about it for a long time.

Just the decision of having WLS did leave me feeling a little defeated and with the thoughts about what I was going to have to give up but I tried to focus on the things that I wanted to gain. For me I've gotten to do almost everything that I couldn't do before surgery so I am super happy with the outcome.

It;s hard to do but focus on what you are going to gain not on what you might lose.

Good luck,

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

PeteA
on 10/7/15 8:55 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

You can do it! For me the wondering what I was going to lose out of my life came between the first consult and having a date scheduled. Once it got closer to reality I was able to focus more on what I hoped to gain than on what I might lose.

With the DS you will eventually be able to eat a pretty wide range of meals. You can think about that. Not right away, bue eventually.

The surgery really changed me. I lost a lot of my cravings, although some eventually came back, since I'm at 2.5 years now.

Concentrate on the things you hope to gain in your life. I've been able to do things post op that I thought were forever behind me and I'm super happy.

Good luck,

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

larra
on 10/7/15 10:26 am - bay area, CA

One of the great things about the DS is that it has the most normal way of eating of any bariatric surgery. There is no food that you are forbidden from every eating again. Dumping occurs rarely, if ever. Yes, there are definitely changes we all need to make, and it's good that you are thinking about this now. We need to emphasize protein in our diets. We need to limit carbs. We need to take a bunch of vitamins every day, more than with other surgeries. It's crucial and a lifetime commitment, but not difficult. It becomes part of your daily routine, like brushing your teeth.

Having bariatric surgery of any kind is a difficult decision. People who have never faced this decision can't possibly understand how difficult this is. You are taking a leap into the unknown. And you are right that it doesn't fix every problem in your life. But it does improve your health and your quality of life tremendously, and really, that's all we are asking for, to live a normal, healthy active life. I hope you will feel better about your decision after meeting with your surgeon.

Larra

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 272 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 746 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 250 views