Gas odor

Wopsrfun
on 10/10/15 2:44 am

You are going to think I'm crazy but is it normal with the DS surgery to have horrible sewer like gas smells and bowel movements. My daughter tells me the smell is awful and I'm getting paranoid.

Is there something I can take to help with this?

Any help would be most appreciated.

EsThet

MajorMom
on 10/10/15 3:13 am - VA

It's back to the super strong probiotic...it helps some. : (

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Wopsrfun
on 10/10/15 8:54 am

I just started taking probiotics, I hope it helps. Thank you for replying.

hollykim
on 10/10/15 11:02 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

yes,it is normal. The smell will be worse the more white carbs,cookies,bread,oatmeal,pasta,etc and sugar products that you eat.

Some ppl spray a variety of deodorizer sin the bathroom,and flush frequently during each stool. You can buy Devrom,a product that is taken internally that helps with the odor.

It is a side effect of the DS. I am surprised you weren't aware of it.

stacy T.
on 10/10/15 5:21 pm - San Francisco, CA

Pretty normal, but hey, everyone's chit stinks in the bathroom so turn on the fan and don't worry about it.

As far as the gas goes?

Yeah, gas happens and can be pretty strong, but here is the tale I tell newbies worrying about it.

I was at a support group meeting years ago. 30 people, all post DS in one good sized great room. There was a ton of conversation about gas and the horrific embarrassment surrounding it.

At the end of the meeting I stood up and asked the room if, after an hour and a half in the same room with 29 other DS patients, eating and talking and drinking, had anyone experienced a 'gas event' so powerful that they had taken note of an unbearable stench and felt compelled to leave the room?

"No?"

"Has anyone even noticed ANY smell?"

"No?"

Ok. so stuff can stink, for anyone, but we are not toxic smell generators. Go to the bathroom if you think you need to pass gas. Flush to keep the bowl cleared. Open a window or turn on the fan.

And don't worry about it. You can't control it, you just manage it.

And please, do NOT tell me your spouse has never cut loose with a nasty one and stunk up the room ; -)

It can happen to anyone, it just happens more frequently to us.

Wopsrfun
on 6/13/18 1:36 pm

Thank you Stacy, I'm glad I had the DS surgery and I would do it again.

friends,

esther

Vicki PNW
on 10/11/15 7:21 pm

I take acidophilus first thing in the AM, as recommended by my then-NP. If I am going to be out late in the afternoon or early evening, then I take another one before leaving.

Vicki

DS (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney. Cholecystectomy (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney 19 months post-op.

Has not weighed myself since 1/2010.  Letting my clothes gauge my progress instead.

PeteA
on 10/11/15 8:42 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

You can also try a product called devrom or chlorophyll pills. Devrom seems to be hit or miss on helping people and I just remember someone saying chlorophyll pills helped them but I've never seen anyone else say that. A lot of people try Devrom.

Wopsrfun
on 6/13/18 12:01 pm

Thanks for the advise, I'll try the devron. Where can I get it?

PeteA
on 6/13/18 12:07 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I got mine on Amazon but you can also buy it direct from their web site. https://devrom.com/

I've never really looked to see if it is available at any of the local drug stores..

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 103 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 653 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 233 views