How long after DS did you need before you went back to work?

Marquismark
on 10/11/15 11:55 am
DS on 12/10/15

I'm just trying to figure out this question for possible surgery scheduling. My job is not physically strenous. Some standing and walking around, but that's about it. The bathroom is 50 yards away and it sometimes might take me a few minutes before I can stop what I'm doing and go.

Other than the excess weight, I'm in fairly good health.

Any thoughts?

Sleeve to DS revision by Dr. Gary Belzberg. Highest Weight (pre-sleeve): 325 (40.6 BMI) DS Revision Surgery Weight: 295 (36.7 BMI) Current Weight: 235 (29.5 BMI) 6'3"

ShebasMom
on 10/11/15 1:31 pm
Revision on 07/05/16

Most surgeons recommend 6 weeks, especially after abdominal surgery, for complete healing. I have seen some return back to work at 3 weeks, when it is a desk job, which is still against medical advise. It is advised not to lift greater than 10 lbs or or do a lot of bending. I did not go back to work early, I needed those 6 weeks. I'm a RN, worked in a busy NICU.

HW322 SW296 GW150 LW196 

RNY 8-29-11

Revision to Distal bypass 7-5-16

SW262 GW165 

John 3:16

(deactivated member)
on 10/11/15 1:32 pm

I have a desk job and was back to work about 2 weeks later.

The most important factor in your timeframe toget back to normal activities will likely be whether or not you experience any complications during or post surgery.

Gook luck!

Vicki PNW
on 10/11/15 7:15 pm

I was not employed at the time of my lap DS surgery. Otherwise, I would have been out at least 6 weeks. My current job is a sit-down one, with occasional trips to the basement to retrieve older batches as needed (I take the stairs two floors down and back up).

Vicki

DS (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney. Cholecystectomy (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney 19 months post-op.

Has not weighed myself since 1/2010.  Letting my clothes gauge my progress instead.

PattyL
on 10/12/15 1:13 pm

Mine was open and I could have gone back to work in 2 weeks. My insurance gave me 6 weeks. Automatic for major abdominal surgery. So I took the time off. It was the first time in my adult life I'd ever had that big a block of time off work. I enjoyed it and even more important I had time to learn about my new digestive system. Try out foods and vites and find out what worked in a non stressful environment. I did have some diarrhea and I had time to get it under control.

And btw, imodium is your friend. If you have diarrhea, treat it. I probably carried imodium with me for a year postop. Seldom took it but it was like a security blanket!!!

Valerie G.
on 10/13/15 4:54 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

How much critical thinking are you doing at work? I ask because the "anesthesia fog" lasted several weeks. It wasn't until around 6 weeks before I really started feeling like myself again. I took off 8 wks total.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Marquismark
on 10/13/15 7:02 am
DS on 12/10/15

I general I strive to do as little critical thinking as possible

But I know what you mean about the "fog."

Thanks...

Sleeve to DS revision by Dr. Gary Belzberg. Highest Weight (pre-sleeve): 325 (40.6 BMI) DS Revision Surgery Weight: 295 (36.7 BMI) Current Weight: 235 (29.5 BMI) 6'3"

Felicity Q.
on 10/13/15 7:57 am
DS on 09/28/15

I had surgery 2 weeks ago (lap-band removal and DS revision) and am planning on returning to work next week - making it 3 weeks of total.

I could probably have started back at work yesterday, but my surgeon does 3 weeks baseline and that's what my short-term disability insurance accepted. If I am not feeling up to it yet, I am supposed to meet with my PCP to request an extension (my surgeon is in another town).

I'm sure it will be fine. I am a telecommuter though, basically 100% desk job and I don't leave my house to go to work. What I am most worried about is the brain fog and accounting that I do for work. I just plan on being extra careful and double-checking my work!

Lap-Band 2011 | DS Revision 9/28/15 | HW: 380 in 2011 | GW: 140

Blog: http://felicitywls.blogspot.com/ | Twitter: @FelicityQ13

BebeZed
on 10/16/15 10:44 am - Bellingham, WA
On October 13, 2015 at 2:57 PM Pacific Time, Felicity Q. wrote:

I had surgery 2 weeks ago (lap-band removal and DS revision) and am planning on returning to work next week - making it 3 weeks of total.

I could probably have started back at work yesterday, but my surgeon does 3 weeks baseline and that's what my short-term disability insurance accepted. If I am not feeling up to it yet, I am supposed to meet with my PCP to request an extension (my surgeon is in another town).

I'm sure it will be fine. I am a telecommuter though, basically 100% desk job and I don't leave my house to go to work. What I am most worried about is the brain fog and accounting that I do for work. I just plan on being extra careful and double-checking my work!

I will admit there was/is a bit of brain fog. I'm just getting over that but I did make a couple of errors I would not usually make the first couple of days back.

stacy T.
on 10/13/15 10:27 am - San Francisco, CA

I was still feeling really sucky between 2 and 3 weeks later. A round trip (45 minute each way) car ride just about did me in. I think at 4 or 5 I was back to work.

I think what's most important is that you remember everyone experiences recovery differently. So it's good to get a baseline on what to expect, but leave room in your plans to accommodate your needs once you know what they are.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 267 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 742 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 250 views