I don't want to lose to much !

jazzygirlnc
on 2/10/16 10:22 pm
VSG on 04/14/16

I am considering either the DS or VSG to be done at Mexicali Bariatric since I don't have insurance and will be self pay. I am 28years old, 5ft 9in with a BMI of 39, weighing 267 pounds, hypothyroidism(controlled) and insulin resistance. I think a weight of 160-145 pounds would be okay with my medium-large frame. I know that the DS has a better long term success rate than the VSG and I want to be sure that my other issues wont effect my weight loss. But I am concerned that with the DS I will lose too much too fast and I won't look or feel healthy. Plus the idea of having to take a crap load of vitamins every day just sounds like trading obesity problems for something else. I know I will have to take vitamins with the DS, but since I don't have a bunch of weight to lose I don't want to have to supplement as much for the rest of my life. So I guess what I'm asking is this . . . . . Can I request that the surgery to be altered so I malabsorb less since I don't have a large amount to lose?

(I have been doing research on common channel length, alimentary limb length and sleeve size. Thinking I may want a VSG sized sleeve- knowing it will stretch over time- but unsure what length channel and limb will keep me from losing to much weight, while still allowing me to maintain later on) Thanks for all your feedback in advance.

Jasmine

PattyL
on 2/11/16 1:21 am

I have been around the boards and DSers for a decade and a half.  In that whole time, I have known 3 people who lost too much/couldn't stop losing.  They ended up having revisions to absorb more.  Now here's the other side of the story.  I can't even count all the people who wish they had been able to lose more.  Don't get me wrong, the DS is the best WLS option available today.  There is nothing better.  But quite a few of us end up in the overweight to obese BMI group.  And the further out you are, the more life starts to look like dieting again.

Yes there are exceptions.  I know a few DSers who just maintain pretty effortlessly in the normal BMI range.  But it's not effortless for most of us.

You want to lose and maintain a 100+ pound loss.  Your best chance of doing that long term is the DS.  As long as you are willing to take the supplements, you should be fine.  The sleeve is restriction only.  It's a low calorie diet.  Most people who need to lose 100+ lbs need more than a diet.

Honeymoons always end.  And diets don't work long term.  If they did, none of us would need the DS.

jazzygirlnc
on 2/11/16 5:27 am
VSG on 04/14/16

Thanks for replying. I am willing to take the supplements needed for the DS. I have noticed that some peoples vitamin regimen seem more intensive than others (guess that depends on labs).  At first I was dead set on the VSG cause I didn't want anything done with my intestines, but I have been researching is since 2014and have seen a lot of people with the VSG going back to add on the DS and I really want this to be a one time thing. Hopefully I could find a way to simplify how many vitamins I would have to take and I know I would need an alarm or something to remind me to take them for a while. Thanks again

K P.
on 2/11/16 7:37 am
DS on 07/08/14

I understand your debate however why not get the best to begin with. Reality is you will likely be below 145 for a while, but you will regain. For example, I am 5'6" tall and started at 280, I'm currently 132-134lbs and my surgery was 07/08/14. I have been at this weight for about 4 months. I dipped a little low on vacation but have been steadily within a 5lb range. My surgeon would love me to gain 10-20lbs because even though I have a normal bmi, my fat stores are very low. If I had my excess skin removed I'd loose about 10 more lbs. Even doing so my bmi would be in the normal range. I know I'll regain and I'm okay with that. Right now I eat anywhere between 2,200-3,000 calories a day mostly from fat, then protein, then carbs. I take 4 doses of vitamins a day. It's habit now. I adjust based on labs. It's just part of my life. Basically I recommend going for gold and not settling for the vsg. 

HW 284; SW 270; CW 152; Revised GW 140-160  

jazzygirlnc
on 2/11/16 8:14 am
VSG on 04/14/16

I do believe I have to agree with you. The DS would be best !

PattyL
on 2/11/16 3:36 pm, edited 2/11/16 7:34 am

Vites become a habit just like brushing your teeth or taking a shower.  I take half of mine in the morning and the other half in the evening.  No alarms needed.  There are a few people who need to be very vigilant but most can do something similar to what I do.  Just take the pills.  That's the bottom line.  If what you are doing is not adequate you will know down the road.

What you can and should do now is start taking a multi, calcium, and extra D.  Almost everyone is D deficient.  And the others, well, you need those anyway.  DS or not.  Start developing the habit now.

And you really don't need to worry about losing too much.  Lose as much as you can as fast as you can.  Aim for 10% or so below goal.  That will accommodate your regain.  And almost everyone get**** with the bounceback.

jazzygirlnc
on 2/11/16 5:36 pm
VSG on 04/14/16

Thanks for the reply. I am currently taking a multivitamin and vitamin d. But I need to start taking calcium. I won't be having the surgery for at least 2-3 months cause I'm still breastfeeding my daughter (but that will stop when she turns 1). I was under the impression that I would be taking vitamins 4+ times a day! I can definitely work with 2 times a day.

Valerie G.
on 2/15/16 4:28 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Another option that many of us are playing with is vitamin patches (see patchmd.com), getting our vitamins transdermally and not worrying about digestion malabsorption.  I'm taking an extra dose of calcium to firm up my stool a bit, but the rest of what I need comes from the patch.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

jazzygirlnc
on 2/15/16 8:52 am
VSG on 04/14/16
On February 15, 2016 at 12:28 PM Pacific Time, Valerie G. wrote:

Another option that many of us are playing with is vitamin patches (see patchmd.com), getting our vitamins transdermally and not worrying about digestion malabsorption.  I'm taking an extra dose of calcium to firm up my stool a bit, but the rest of what I need comes from the patch.

That's always an option.

(deactivated member)
on 2/11/16 6:29 pm

I know exactly where your coming from. I was just under 300lbs with a 39 to 40 BMI, and a big concern about losing too much. I asked my Dr for a light version of the DS for a longer common channel. 

In the end, I had a SADi DS procedure which basically is a DS with a common channel of about 350 to 400cm vs. about 100 to 150cm for a typical DS.

I only need a fraction of the vitamins, I have gas and bathroom issues similar to any DSer if I don't eat well, and I did end up losing too much weight. Right now I'm stable with about an 18 BMI and looking to build muscle and gain back some weight over the next 12 months.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 295 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 767 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 254 views