12 Years and Loving Life

charlietuna54
on 4/24/16 6:55 am - St. Augustine, FL

Cannot believe it has been 12 short years.  Someone asked me this week how long it has been and I had to think and was surprised it has been so long. Life has been great. Before the DS I had no life outside of work and coming home and going to bed. Today my wife and I have something going every night and we look forward the weekends where we can work in the yard or just go for a long walk.  

I had a bout with low iron this year and had to have an infusion of iron and continue to have low potassium which I control with pills.  My other blood tests are great and I continue to to have my blood checked every 6 months.  (My total Cholesterol is now at 91.)  

I am able to keep and play with my two granddaughters age 3 and 5. They wear me out but I am able to get on the floor and play with them. Even looking forward to next week when my wife and I are taking the 3 year old to Disney for her Birthday.  Before DS I would have refused to go but now I am excited about taking her 

If you are thinking of having the DS I encourage you to do the research and make sure it is right for you. You must be committed to following the diet and vitamin requirements for life and to followup w a Dr that fully understands the DS annually for life. You will be surprised how many Drs have no clue of the DS and will equate it to the RNY. Over the years I have had to educate many.

I would go back through the surgery and all the follow ups again without hesitation. 

If you have any questions feel free to email me. It may take a few days for me to get back to you but I will.  I wish you all good luck on your journey as we fight this horrible disease.  

Charlie 

NoreenRT
on 4/24/16 10:11 am - Warner Robins, GA

Happy surgiversary! Good to hear life is fun for you. Sounds like those granddaughters are the best part of your life.

Thanks for sticking around to post.

Hugs.

Noreen  HW 352 / SW 324 / CW 175/ LW/ 148 / GW 150   (achieved Aug 14 '11)

MajorMom
on 4/24/16 3:54 pm - VA

Congratulations and happy surgiversary! 

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

SmilinsShrinking
on 4/24/16 4:22 pm - Kent, WA
DS on 08/05/16

Congratulations! It's so encouraging to read about people who have been successful with the DS and not just a couple of months out.  :-)

Enjoy Disneyland and that little grand baby of yours!! :-) 

PeteA
on 4/24/16 8:09 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Congrats!  Sound advice for the people researching.  :)

PattyL
on 4/25/16 12:58 pm

Congratulations!  Thanks for posting!

(deactivated member)
on 4/26/16 8:53 am

Hi Charlie,

Congratulations on reaching the long term success we all hope for.

I would like to ask your view on how you feel about the gas and smelly poop issue we all deal with, now that you can reflect on it with a longer term perspective.

After flying from NY to Ldn the other night, I was thinking the gas issue is really a challenge at times. I'm not sure what I'll think 10 years from now.

charlietuna54
on 5/6/16 2:53 am - St. Augustine, FL

Those are always an issue but you learn which foods causes the most severe gas and avoid them. Those are very small issues compared to all the health issues I had prior to the DS. No high blood pressure, off all prescriptions except potassium supplements, total cholesterol is less than 100, able to walk long distances without pain or being short of breath, and am able to experience life like I had not been able to I the 20 plus years prior to DS. I can put up with a few small negatives for all of the positives. But I do relate to what you say about long trips. You have to plan. Last year I had a 10 hour day of flights. I drank a lot but are very little from the day before I left until I gotta my destination.  

Life is great after the DS. I wish you much success on your journey!!  

Charlie

camamx
on 5/7/16 4:40 am

Charlie, congratulations! I'm 14 years out and SO happy I chose the DS! It is very easy to live with, and even though my food addiction sometimes causes me to gain some weight, I remain below the MO range. I still think it's the best surgery available. It's great to be alive and have a life!

jmuldune, regarding gas, you do learn what foods cause it. In the beginning, the gas was nasty! It is for most people; maybe it has something to do with all the fat and impurities we're flushing out. Unfortunately I don't remember what foods caused problems, but I was pretty good about not eating carbs and fat back then. To figure out which foods are a problem for you, you could try eating only one food for a day, adding a second one the next day, a third the next, and so on. Try to avoid processed foods, fake sugar--fake anything. Nowadays my problem foods are sugar, white flour, fat, and chocolate, especially if combined, like in a cake. If I know I will be going somewhere, I avoid them the day before. Gas-x helps a LOT in emergencies, too; I always keep a packet in my purse. Congratulations on choosing the DS, and rest assured the gas issue WILL go away! 

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 274 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 748 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 250 views