Duodenal switch with BMI 35

adegiusti
on 5/31/16 5:04 pm
DS on 06/15/16

Has anyone ever had a duodenal switch with a BMI of 35. I need revision surgery but due to adhesions I cant have RNY.  Just trying to do some research. 

larra
on 6/1/16 8:51 am - bay area, CA

The quick answer to your question is yes, there are people with bmi 35 - 40 have have had the DS and done great with it. Losing too much weight doesn't happen very often, and doesn't seem to be related to starting bmi. Almost all the people I've encountered over the years who lost too much were males, and most of them were able to manage without revision surgery (there are of course some who needed revisions) by eating more and taking digestive enzymes to get them through til they stabilized at a healthy weight.

But your post doesn't really say where you are revising from, or why you think you could have the DS despite your adhesions but not gastric bypass, so there may be issues here other than your bmi.

Larra

adegiusti
on 6/7/16 8:36 am
DS on 06/15/16

I had VSG in 2006. My acid reflux is so severe my physician said I needed RNY. On May 24,2016 I went in to have RNY but my adhesions were so bad he could not do it. Now he thinks if I lose more weight that it will help the reflux and he wants to do the DS. My family is very concerned because he told them he usually does not do that surgery for BMI less than 50 but thinks this will really help me. I dont know what to do.

MajorMom
on 6/1/16 3:57 pm - VA

My BMI was close to your but I wasn't a revision. My surgeon does revisions from band to DS and he normally doesn't have a problem with giving "lightweights" a DS. You may find surgeons not willing to give lightweights a go but keep looking and good luck!

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

-Flo-
on 6/1/16 4:08 pm
DS on 04/11/16

My BMI was right around 35 when I had my revision from VSG to DS. I'll be two months out on June 11th and I'm down almost 30lbs. I think it is great!

(deactivated member)
on 6/1/16 6:44 pm

I had a modified version of the DS called a SADi DS in Nov 14 with a BMI of 38 or so. The procedure is similar to a standard DS but leaves a longer common channel for less malabsorption and fewer vitamins.

One of my primary concerns was losing too much weight which has happened. I'm down from close to 300lbs to what was a low of about 135. Now I'm mid 140's but it's very difficult for me to gain. I eat about 2,500 calories a day to maintain my weight. 

Over time, I'm expecting my body to adjust and maintain at a higher weight but right now I'm hanging on for the ride.

Stats: HW = 290, CW = 143, Height = 6,1, male

islandgirl55
on 6/7/16 5:36 pm

My bmi was 38. I just got in under the bmi wire. I'm 14 weeks out and down 40 lbs with 15 more to go. I'm sticking to the program very closely. I must admit, I haven't had many complications but I'm pretty cautious. I had RNY 15 yrs ago. Good luck. I'm sure the reflux is horrid. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 266 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 742 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 250 views