Bowel Movement Frequency

(deactivated member)
on 7/1/16 10:04 pm

Hi - I'm about 19 months post op (Nov 2014) and generally have been in a pattern of 1 major bowl movement each morning after which I was usually good for day. In the past few days, I have suddenly had bowl movements within 20 to 30 minutes of every meal I eat all day long (about 8 to 10 times a day).

Has anyone had this experience and any suggestions on limiting the frequency? Thx

MajorMom
on 7/2/16 3:00 am - VA

Have you changed anything such as decreasing your calcium or changing the calcium brand? I find when I take anything other than Vitalady's calcium citrate I get constipated. Too many carby things or a lot of fiber in my diet can change things. 

--g

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

(deactivated member)
on 7/2/16 6:48 am

I have been eating a lot the past month to try to gain weight so many that is catching up to me. There are a lot of carbs in diet. Thx

PeteA
on 7/2/16 5:45 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Two thoughts in addition to what Gina had to say.

Any changes in medication?  I fond some antibiotics make me go more often, Not DH, just an increased frequency.

Any particularly large meals lately? Sometimes that leaves me in a state where I don't clean out right away and as
I eat more I have to go pretty soon after a meal. I'm not sure why sometimes thigs get held up but it happens on
occasion. It usually lasts only a day or so for me.

Just a thought.  You might do completely protein for a day or two to reset. I sometimes do a dya or two of shakes
to get myself more centered. Not really sure it will help in this case but might be worth a try.

Pete

(deactivated member)
on 7/2/16 6:54 am

Thanks, I've been eating a lot of protein and everything else to try and put some weight back on. Maybe it just took a few weeks weeks and now my body is adjusting with frequent bowl movements.

I feel like I could win the Nathan's Hot Eating contest this weekend if I just sat on a toilet while I was eating. 60 Dogs in, 60 dogs out almost as fast. Maybe if I wear a hell of a large diaper and pass around some nose plugs.

Valerie G.
on 7/5/16 4:36 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Those who become underweight have had success with digestive enzymes added to their routine.  Creon is a popular enzyme that is prescribed by a doc.  They are on it for a few months, then stop when they've gained enough weight back.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

(deactivated member)
on 7/5/16 4:44 pm

Thanks, I've had a couple of people suggest Creon. I'm also adding a muscle building supplement my DS surgeon recommended.

(deactivated member)
on 7/5/16 4:46 pm

Thanks Val.

ladybug513
on 7/21/16 11:17 am - NY

I was in a similar situation a year in a half out. I was probably eating 6,000+ calories per day, and more on some, and anything I wanted. It normalized without Creon around 30 months out. I was basically attached to the bathroom. It also seemed that as soon as I ate an item I would have to go to the bathroom. I thought it would never end and actually considered myself one of the "lucky" few that would be able to eat whatever food in whatever amount for life and not gain weight. Looking back, while it was nice to be able to eat anything, I was not living fully since I was attached to the bathroom. Well, at 30 months out I started to gain and my bathroom habits changed drastically from sometimes up to 10+ times/day on some days to 2 or 3 times/day most days. I feel fortunate that I was able to catch myself re my eating and reigned myself in and have therefore maintained at 38 months out within 5 pounds of my goal weight.

As many have said on these boards, YMMV! My window for weight loss was longer than average but indeed it closed. Be careful that you do not get accustomed to eating the diet you did before your surgery. Your window will close and at that point it is much more difficult to get back on track and not gain significant bounce-back weight.

First goal 120.0: 12/7/13  Final goal 115.0 (114.6):  2/6/14  

5'3  SW: 199 (12/11/11)  Current: 114.8 pounds  18% body fat   BMI: 20.3           

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 120 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 663 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 234 views