gross questions for the long termers

nursebongo
on 8/28/16 4:52 am - Xenia, OH

Hi I am 8 yrs post op from a BPD-DS and I was wondering how often you all have bowel movements now? Does your trigger foods still work? I thought it would even out some but when I went to see the bariatric surgeon he was surprised I go once a day and maybe once in 3 days. Does anyone else have this problem even taking stool softners daily and laxatives when a day has come and gone.

I'VE MADE IT TO THE LOSER'S BENCH! Check out my profile for my current measurement stats!

PattyL
on 8/28/16 3:28 pm

Once or twice a day and that's it.  I don't take meds at all.

nursebongo
on 8/28/16 3:52 pm - Xenia, OH

How many yrs post op? Per Dr we are still supposed to go 30-45 min after we eat. Even after 8 yrs

I'VE MADE IT TO THE LOSER'S BENCH! Check out my profile for my current measurement stats!

PattyL
on 8/28/16 8:37 pm

Honestly...  Baloney!  I had surgery in 2003.  I know quite a few people who had surgery in that general time period and the most common poop schedule is once or twice in the morning and done for the day.

MajorMom
on 8/28/16 4:57 pm - VA

Once or twice first thing in the morning. I don't know where your surgeon gets his info but what he's told you is way off. I'm 9 years post-op and it's been once or twice in the morning since year 2. If I switch calcium it can cause constipation and I do have to take stool softeners. You sound normal to me.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Petunia
on 8/29/16 4:12 am

I'll be 10 years next month and go once or twice in the morning after a cup of coffee.  No trigger foods at all, some calcium causes constipation and I'll take stool softeners for that.  

Valerie G.
on 8/31/16 4:44 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I'm closing in on 11 yrs post op.  i go first thing in the morning, and that's it for the day for me.  I couldn't imagine waiting 3 days.  That must be agony!  No stool softeners or anything necessary for me either.  Are you eating plenty of fat?

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

just jenni
on 9/5/16 3:45 pm - Gateway to the Redwoods, CA

I'm 11 years out and it totally depends on how I'm eating. If I eat bad, like all sugary carbs, I'll go several times a day! If I'm eating good, more protein, the way we're suppose to be eating, it's not so bad. I would love to go only once in the morning.

open DS 8/30/05
312/182/160

Maria C.
on 9/22/16 8:57 am - KY

I am 8 years out also, and it depends on how I'm eating.  Usually once or twice in the morning but if I eat a bunch of junk, I'll be going off and on all day!

HW 246    SW 243     CW - below goal    GW 139     Height 5'3"
Beam me up Scottie
on 9/22/16 7:27 pm, edited 9/22/16 12:29 pm
Twice in the morning after I drink some Coke Zero, and then at least once in the afternoon.

I'd be taking stool softeners and zinc oxide or a suppository if I went more than 1 day without a BM.

Edited to add: I have always gone to the bathroom 2 or 3 times a day (or more) even before surgery.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 146 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 688 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 237 views