Weight regain

K P.
on 9/30/16 3:13 pm
DS on 07/08/14

Well, after about 2.5 years I finally gained some weight. 7 pounds actually. I'm finding it hard to deal with. Part of me is happy because I don't need to snack all the time and my surgeon will be happy. Yet part of me is scared that I'll end up being fat again. I know this is illogical as I'm only 140 pounds at 5'6" so I'm still well within a safe healthy BMI. I've adjusted my diet and seem to be maintaining 140 now (previously I was maintaining at 133). It's just weird going up a size and knowing it's good and normal. Anyone else deal with this during this period? 

HW 284; SW 270; CW 152; Revised GW 140-160  

PattyL
on 9/30/16 6:51 pm

Be careful!  Enjoy where you are but also know the further out you are the easier it is to gain.  I think the average woman in the US is about a size 16 now, it's going up!  Sure we look pretty average but we weigh more than we want to.  Most have some bounceback between 2.5 and 5 years.  You are on the early end of it and that leaves you more years to maintain.

If there was way to poll people 10+ years out, I would bet serious money more than half wish they could lose more!  Then add in all the people who never made it to goal at all.  Me for one, I never made it to a normal BMI.

Really you shouldn't care too much if your surgeon is happy.  For his stats all you need to be successful is 50% EWL.  Most of us want that normal BMI and 50% leaves many of us still too heavy.  As long as your BMI stays good, you are golden.

K P.
on 10/2/16 7:35 pm
DS on 07/08/14

Thanks. I'm working on maintaining a normal bmi. My goal was 155 so I actually lost about 15lbs more than goal. Jus****ching what I eat now to maintain. 

Beam me up Scottie
on 9/30/16 9:28 pm
The feeling is normal, but remember so is some bounce back. I've heard it' s typically 10 percent of your total loss.
Petunia
on 10/2/16 3:40 am

I'm 10 years out and in the same boat as you, 5'6" 140 pounds but would like to be able to maintain 132/133.  I just feel better at that weight but would need to watch what I eat to stay there. 

Last year I had knee replacement surgery and went down to 122, took a year to put the weight back on.  My body likes the 140 range but I feel a little heavy here, on a positive note it was good I had that extra weight last summer.  

I've also noted some of the weight I put on is in places I usually don't have extra but that could be an age thing, I'll be 61 this year.

Ruby

K P.
on 10/2/16 7:33 pm
DS on 07/08/14

I think I actually like the 140lbs more. I seem to be less skeletal looking and I have better color in my face. At first it was weird not being a size 4 anymore - I'd gotten used to it but being a 6 isn't bad either. 

(deactivated member)
on 10/2/16 1:58 pm

I'm just short of 2 years out and I've gained about 13lbs in the past few months. It was a major struggle for me to stabilize my weight so the weight gain was badly needed. I have the same concerns as you about not continuing to gain long term but for now it's fine. I'm also getting in a good amount of exercise and I monitor my nutrition and fitness goals everyday using a fitness tracker.

Only time will tell where it goes long term.

K P.
on 10/2/16 7:32 pm
DS on 07/08/14

I'm glad to see you're in the same boat. I remember you were snacking all the time like I was having to do. The transition to less snacking is odd, but I'm starting to get used to it. Best of luck to you on this journey. :)

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 258 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 738 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 246 views