Just got my surgery date, suddenly nervous!

TvanV
on 2/15/17 8:23 pm
DS on 03/09/17

I just chose my surgery date and now I'm nervous for the first time since I deciding I wanted WLS. My whole process has been very quick - first discussed WLS with my doctor the end of September, decided the end of January to pursue it in earnest, turned down by insurance Feb 10, booked sale-pay Feb 15, and am scheduled to have the DS on March 9. Now, for the first time, I am questioning whether or not I'm being rash. Anyone else have a slight panic attack when you realized this was really happening?

Lisa_at_the_beach
on 2/16/17 6:21 am - Raleigh, NC
with

Oh definitely, I was terrified and went back and forth trying to decide if I was doing the right thing.  I went through with it and have lost 180 lbs.  I am so happy, not only have I been able to lose the weight I can keep it off by eating like a sane person most of the time and letting myself enjoy treats and eating what I want at restaurants a few times a week.  I don't feel deprived.  I do have to keep taking my vitamins, and certain foods give me terrible gas and bloating.  In my view a small price to pay for being fit and looking great!  I'm now pursuing plastic surgery to get rid of the extra skin.  I am so happy I took this route, but only you know if this is the right direction for you.  You do have to stay on a strict vitamin regimen for the rest of your life and remember that WLS is a tool to be used so that you can lose the weight.  You still have to pay attention to your diet.  Protein will always be important to you and sugar and simple carbs will never be your friend.  

TvanV
on 2/16/17 9:18 am
DS on 03/09/17

Thank you, Lisa! I've tried to read accounts both good and bad, but to be honest, they are overwhelmingly good, which makes me feel better! It has been such a blessing to find OH and WLS progress videos on YouTube. Hearing first-had accounts instead of hearsay hhorror stories really helps me to feel I'm schooling a solid, practical tool to help with a lifelong struggle. 

NoreenRT
on 2/16/17 5:26 pm - Warner Robins, GA

Being nervous is all part of the process. The morning of my surgery I was gonna quietly slip out of the pre-op room and go home. Then after the surgery I had buyers remorse and was mortified about what I did to my body.

Today, I would jump on that operating table in a heartbeat.  This surgery was the best thing I ever did.

good luck with your journey..

Noreen  HW 352 / SW 324 / CW 175/ LW/ 148 / GW 150   (achieved Aug 14 '11)

MajorMom
on 2/17/17 2:01 am - VA

Congratulations!  

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Geegee53
on 2/24/17 4:42 am

I was super excited at one time I watched every you tube video was like I cannot  wait. started the process jan 5, 2017 they called and gave me my date march 9,2017 I immediately froze and still cant grasp it I am all over the place I started my liquid diet yesterday feb 23, 2017 its time and im num.

TvanV
on 2/24/17 10:45 am
DS on 03/09/17

I've been watching all the videos, too. Mostly because I want to know what to expect in the first few weeks of recovery, but also so I can keep reminding myself that I really WILL lose weight doing this. After so many years of yo-yo dieting, it's hard to imagine being able to just keep losing past all my old set points.

The videos, blogs, and forums have really helped to assuage almost all of my nervousness. There are very few stories out there of people who had a hard time, and that is really reassuring.

Good luck on your upcoming surgery! I'll keep my fingers crossed for us both.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 256 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 737 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 244 views