Diabetes

agim
on 2/20/17 10:58 am
RNY on 04/03/17

Which process would be more suitable for eliminating Diabetes? Bypass or sleeve? Has anyone been happy with sleeve process eliminating diabete?

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 2/20/17 12:12 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

I think the malabsorption procedures like the rny & ds helps to put diabetes in remission early on, with the vsg I think it takes a bit longer.

I had diabetes b4 wls & thru lifestyle changes I was able to get off the insulin & had a low dosage of the pills, after the surgery & weight loss I was able to get off of all diabetes medication & maintain normal A1C numbers. I still have to watch what I eat otherwise the diabetes could become active again.

Surgery in general doesn't cure a disease, but it could help to put it into remission.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

larra
on 2/20/17 1:25 pm - bay area, CA

Actually, that's one of the best things about the DS. It has the highest rate for PERMANENT resolution - not remission - of type 2 diabetes of any bariatric surgery. Different studies with large groups of patients put the figure at 92 - 98%. That's not 100%, but it's as close as you're going to get.

Next best would be gastric bypass. It supposedly has a rate of resolution of about 80%, but in reality this does sometimes turn out to be remission for a few years rather than a true permanent resolution. Still, much better for type 2 diabetes than either VSG or lap band. Lap band is worst.

The "switch" potion of the DS is even used in Europe and other places for people with type 2 diabetes who are not morbidly obese, but this is still only being done in clinical trials in the USA.

In addition, the DS has the best statistics of any bariatric surgery for percentage excess weight loss, for maintaining that weight loss, and for resolution of almost all comorbidities. It also allows you to take NSAIDs safely, whereas they are contraindicated for the rest of your life with gastric bypass. Risk of dumping is minimal, and there is no laundry list of foods you can never eat again. We are seeing new people all the time with other operations who want to revise to the DS because their operations have not accomplished what they had needed/ hoped for. Best to get it right the first time.

Larra

PattyL
on 2/21/17 12:02 pm

My H was one of the people who went to Spain to have the switch only to cure his diabetes.  It works immediately.  You don't have to lose weight.  It is a cure, not a remission.

The fact is, if you lose enough weight, type 2 can usually be put into remission.  But if you regain or even as your body adapts to being altered, the diabetes comes back.  The switch is not dependent on weight loss.

The sleeve is another diet with a smaller stomach.  No malabsorbtion at all.  Success is related to a low cal/low fat diet for the rest of your life.  How have diets worked for you?  If they haven't worked, get the switch.  It works.

There is no WLS out there that has a better chance of getting rid of your diabetes.  Period.  If you want to get rid of diabetes for good, get the DS.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 108 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 657 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 233 views