Seeking information

MelissaK1
on 2/21/17 7:10 am

I'm a first time poster and I'm seeking some real information.

Please know that I have scoured the internet for information and I know the basics about the Duodenal Switch procedure, but I'm hoping to hear from some "real" people that have had the procedure and can tell me:

1- What the surgery was like? Time in the hospital? Recovery time?

2- Your everyday like with DS? How do you feel? What are you eating? How is the weight loss?

I am still in the very early stages of researching and planning to see a surgeon, so I'm not ready to make a decision just yet but I would like to hear your thoughts.

Thank you,

Melissa

* Nicole *
on 2/21/17 10:30 am

1) Well being knocked out during surgery cant tell you much on that (said in a fun tone) I was in for 3 days. I was back to work 2 weeks after my surgery date. My surgery was open also.

2) Well at 11.5 years post op, everyday life with the DS has been easy really. How do I feel.... fantastic. What dont I eat is an easier question than what I do eat. With the DS no food is really off limits just protien and fat are crucial. Along with keeping up on vites and labs. Im still at 100% of weight lost (of what is a good loss for me... BMI is useless for me)

I was 22.5 years old when I had my DS, simply it saved my life as there was no way to control my weight otherwise (rare autoimmune disorder recent find). I decided on the DS thoes years ago since it allowed a bit more of a normal life (people I would later meet couldnt assume I had surgery). The best long term results was a big thing to me and I knew I needed permament malabsorption. Espcially having the food allergies I do (eggs, artificial sweeteners, refined sugar alcohols (its really complicated in this body), turkey, pork) no other surgery could give me the results and the food freedom I needed.

DS Aug 15th,2005 @ goal, living life and loving it.

"An Arabian will take care of its owner as no other horse will, for it has not only been raised to physical perfection, but has been instilled with a spirit of loyalty unparalleled by that of any other breed."

larra
on 2/21/17 11:15 am - bay area, CA

My DS went well. I was in hospital 4 days and really could have gone home one day sooner. These days they seem to send people home more quickly. I didn't have much pain, more just discomfort and exhaustion.

I lost all my excess weight and have kept most of it off. I could lose again with a little effort. I eat pretty much whatever I want, making sure to get in plenty of protein. One of the great things about the DS is that we absorb so little fat, so you can use any form of protein and cook it however you want. There is no food that is forbidden forever and dumping (which is NOT a weight loss tool, just a nasty side effect some people get with gastric bypass) is very rare.

I live a very normal life, and if you met me and had lunch or dinner with me you would never know that I had any kind of bariatric surgery. I do take the necessary vitamins and minerals every day, which is crucial but not difficult. It becomes just another part of your daily routine, like brushing your teeth.

The DS has the best statistics of any bariatric surgery for percentage excess weight loss, for maintaining that weight loss, and for resolution of almost all comorbidities. So keep on doing your research and make sure the surgeon you see is someone who does the DS - not every bariatric surgeon does, and if you go to someone who doesn't, chances are they will try to talk you into whatever they do so as not to lose a paying customer. Also, make sure your surgeon does the standard of care DS with 2 anastamoses. There are some surgeons doing a newer, experimental operation that goes by a variety of names (though some just call it "the DS" which it is NOT) and which does not have well documented long term results.

Larra

Valerie G.
on 2/21/17 12:33 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Like the other two ladies, I too am an old-timer (11+ years).  My surgery was open-no pre op diet required.  I was in the hospital for 4 days and eating soft food before I was discharged. I lost 146 lbs and sit now 20 lbs above that without any complaint, for like the other ladies, I eat what I want focusing on protein and fat.

I have a giant poo first thing in the morning (I multitask and put on my makeup during this), and that's it for the day.  I added that because I'm sure you're wanting to ask without asking.  If I eat simple carbs or anything 'surprising', I may wind up with some horrible gas.  I know most triggers this far along, but those who don't can suffer a bad learning curve.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Kathy S.
on 2/21/17 1:02 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Melissa,

I didn't have the DS but here is some information that may help you.  This is a very specialized procedure so make sure you get a surgeon that has done 100's of these.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Beam me up Scottie
on 2/22/17 10:44 pm, edited 2/22/17 2:45 pm
I'm just an average DSer.

11 years out. My surgery had no complications, but recovery was difficult. I was 500 lbs and my surgery was done open (now they do almost all DS surgeries lap).

I lost 300 lbs and kept it off. I had a 20 lbs bounce back that crept up on me over the last 10 years, and I took that off with a few weeks of low carbing it.

To echo what everyone else said. I eat basically whatever I want. No food is off limits. I do concentrate on getting in enough protein everyday, take my suppliments, but do not eat like I'm on a diet. I do not weigh everything I eat, I do not count calories (although when I'm trying to lose weight I will count carbs), and massive regain doesn't scare me-because the DS is hard to break.

If you do go for the Ds-choose the original. I'm sure the new LOOP or SADI is being touted as the "true"Ds, but it's not. It's some new hybrid surgery. I'm sure over time we will know if it's a good replacement or not, but unless you want to be a human test subject....get the Ds done by the Hess method.

Scott

PS with all that said- You should choose the surgery that is right for you. The one you can live with a long time. If you cannot take suppliments (or cannot afford suppliments-they can be pricey, please please please do not get the DS. I spend about 70 to 150 dollars a month on vits and protein bars (I work out...I use them to suppliment my protein intake). I know some people do it for less, but my regime works for me, and I'm not going to change it.
Soozn
on 2/26/17 12:33 pm
DS on 02/16/17

Hi Melissa! I am a 65 yo Retired Nurse and finally had time to focus on me.  I had the DS on 2/16/2017 (ten days ago).   The procedure took around three hours.  I was in the hospital one night.  I have now progressed to puréed foods and only one protein shake per day.  I had one incident yesterday where I vomited. That was my own fault because I drank too soon after eating. Lessons learned.  I am 5'4 and started the journey at 246. Day of surgery I was 232.  This morning I was 219.   Biggest challenge for me has been to learn to sip and not gulp.   Everyday seems to get better and better.  Please et me know if have any other questions.  Smiles, Susan

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 256 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 737 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 244 views