Concern for my liver... not sure if this is something to look into

tonkxy1231
on 3/15/17 7:51 pm, edited 3/15/17 8:23 pm
DS on 04/09/14

Hello,

I am about 3 years post op DS. I've had my ups and downs mostly iron related but over all feel fine. Im down 200 pounds and struggling with the last 30, oh well no big deal. I'll get there! My concern comes from a blood test we do for insurance. Part of my levels shown are BUN, CREATINE, ALT, ASG. These 4 are all elwvated and asg is the only one over normal range. I admit during the time this was tested i was drinking a lot every weekend and on an unhealthy crash diet.

Im just looking for a vet who know if it is indicative of something more or just bad health choices during the summer/fall. Also at this time i had plastics and fell to a ferritin of 15 which later was 7.

Any advice is welcome

Quick edit: i know bun is elevated from excessive protein (i eat about 120 to 150g a day) and creatine is from extra muscle (i weight lift 5 to 6 days a week). Just wondering if its normal to be elevated and yes i have stopped drinking.. the risks are not worth it

Beam me up Scottie
on 3/15/17 8:36 pm
Definitely, stop drinking! I have heard on the main board that many doctors say to their WLS patients they are never allowed to drink again. I think this is generally good advice.

I think you need to see a hepatologist or a gastroenterologist. WLS is not the cause of all disease- it may be WLS related or drinking related or related to none of the above.

Good luck to you!

Scott
tonkxy1231
on 3/15/17 9:10 pm
DS on 04/09/14

100% I have! I used to host bar crawls and my weekends were full of it. I've had one drink in the last 4 months and decided... no more. Its not worth damaging all the hard work I've already done!

K P.
on 3/16/17 9:15 am
DS on 07/08/14

Is this the first elevation? It probably the alcohol...but it could be medication. For example mine started going up when I had the Nexplanon birth control. We watched it rise and rise which eventually led to a call directly from my GI doc. Once it was removed my levels dropped. They told me Tylenol can also increase it.

HW 284; SW 270; CW 152; Revised GW 140-160  

PeteA
on 3/17/17 12:46 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

It sounds like these readings might be different from in the past. If that's the case I think you are in a wait and see period. It is either something new or something temporary caused by your short term actions.

Pete

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 247 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 733 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 244 views