Honest opinions please :)

Danigirl58
on 3/22/17 9:43 am - Winnipeg, Canada
VSG on 06/19/13

Hey there every one, I was wondering if I could get some honest feedback from you. I have to have a revision done from a sleeve and my options are bypass and DS (sleeve failure) . I was wondering if you could share with me what the real life is like after having the DS. What are some of the struggles lows and highs of having it done. Do any of you struggle with GERD with the DS? Any of you that may Suck at taking your vitamins and how that goes.

Any info would be greatly appreciated :)

Jazzybz
on 3/22/17 1:13 pm

I have been living with my DS for two years. I don't have one regret !

I take my vitamins. Focus on protein fats and fluids plus indulge in carbs when I want to within reason.

I've lost 170 pounds. I was a revision from a lapband.

PeteA
on 3/22/17 1:52 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Nothing I regret. There was a moment or two the first month where I wondered if I had done the right thing because even though I researched early on I just found the reality overwhelming.

Once I settled in to even a little bit of a routine things started to work out. By the end of the first month or so I could tell I was making small but measureable progress towards feeling better and being a little less emotional about the whole thing.

First 2 months while you are healing things can be unpredictable as you are adding food back. From BM's to your reaction to different foods. Wait a day or two and your reaction to something might be completely different.

You do run into stalls but it all evens out in the long run. Especially early on you eat a protein first diet which limits the junk because just to get in the protein you need takes up all the room in your stomach.

** Do NOT, DO NOT, suck at taking your vitamins. You don't have to start out right away but you need to be in the routine if you have a DS. It's one of those things that depending on what you have stored up you won't see a problem right away and that fools some people but you pay the price eventually. Believe me you are not the one exception to the rule where you don't have to take vitamins. At 4 years out I'm in a comfortable routine and do my vitamins 2 months ahead of time. It makes life a lot easier and if you are diligent than you don't have to worry about stopping for say some different surgery or being out of town a day or two ( although I don't consider that one a good escuse ).

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

elissa_hock
on 4/6/17 5:06 pm

I am planning to have a DS early summer and Dr. Schauer is my surgeon too! Right now, I'm just waiting for my cardiologist appointment to medically clear me. I want to get going now! Glad to hear about your journey.

PeteA
on 4/7/17 6:44 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Ahh. Jumping through hoops. :) Just part of the process. I remember the cardiologist. I couldn't do the treadmill to get my heart rate up so they had to inject me with something. Are they making you do a sleep study?

elissa_hock
on 4/7/17 7:48 am

I don't think I'm going to have to do the stress test. I already use a CPAP, so I don't need to do a sleep study. I had an echo cardiogram a week ago. The only reason I have to see a cardiologist is because my heart was slightly enlarged on the chest xray. After you are cleared medically---how long until you can actually schedule the surgery? I'm so happy to actually be speaking with someone who has been through it at the Cleveland Clinic.

Thanks for responding!

Elissa

PeteA
on 4/7/17 8:27 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Happy to help. I'm glad you mostly seem to just have to get the cardiologist to weigh in that it is OK. I had a problem adjusting to the CPAP before surgery but they told me it increased my chances of a good result so I kept at it.

The last steps for me were the psych eval and a final nutritionist visit. It was maybe 6 weeks after that - mostly just due to his schedule.

I was on a high protein diet for 3 or 4 months prior to going through the steps because Schauer wanted me down to a lower weight before he would do both steps (vsg and switch) at the same time. First appointment was early December and surgery was 4/15/13. Had I been willing to do the VSG and then the switch later it would have gone quicker but I was scared about doing two surgeries, let alone just one.

Pete

elissa_hock
on 4/7/17 9:17 am

I have the nutrition and psych done. My CPAP is a nasal pillow and I have had it for about 3 years. I love it now that I am used to it! I have been following a high protein diet since February---because he wants me to get down before he will do it in one step. I do NOT want 2 surgeries. My insurance stuff is a special case---because I would normally not be allowed due to my employer's contract with the insurance company, however they made an exception for me and I don't think they will do it twice. Thanks again for your assistance---I am ready to get this show on the road!

Elissa

PattyL
on 3/22/17 2:31 pm

The DS is a natural next step. It's an easier surgery, they don't have to do anything but the intestinal part. It's also the best WLS available today to help you lose all the weight and keep it off. There is nothing else with better statistics. Period.

That said, if you can't take a couple hand fulls of supplements every day, don't do it. It's not for you.

I had mine about 15 years ago and no way would I trade it in for a rny. Mostly because all the people I know who went rny around the same time I had my DS are all heavier than they were when they had surgery. The rny has some ugly side effects and doesn't bypass enough to keep the weight off long term.

Valerie G.
on 3/22/17 4:43 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

I'm 11.5 years post DS and love it still. Vitamins are a must and it can be a drag sometimes, so if you get the DS OR the bypass, there is no going without vitamins. If you think you cannot take them regularly, don't get a revision at all. It can be a death sentence with either procedure.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 362 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views