10 Years + Post-Op BPD-DS changes...looking for insight on how this 10 Year Hump has...

valerina9
on 3/24/17 8:26 am

I am nearly 11 years post op and the one thing that I've found strange is that only in the last month I have found that the gas has become exceedingly worse - and not too sure why as my eating habits haven't changed - almost as if after the 10 year hump, things began to change and the biggest challenge I have faced is not having a lot of answers because not enough is documents for BPD-DS patients. I would for sure do it again in a heartbeat knowing all that I know but it's challenging at times to find answers from doctors. I LOVE this forum and don't come here enough but when I do, I find answers - thank GOD.

The 10 year mark has had an impact - it's weird. I've put on like 15 lbs (only other time I gained weight in the last 10 years was with my two pregnancies - 26 lbs and 28 lbs) - could be peri-menopausal but it's just weird. I eat less, drink less (no****er - still drink tons of water) and feel like only recently that foods like potatoes and pasta really cause pain and horrific gas and I don't eat much. I work with on a floor with a community women's bathroom and I am absolutely HORRIFIED if I have to go #2....it's motirfying and I don't know what's causing it or how to control it. I've never taken Flagyl - it terrifies me nor Devrom but willing to try it if it helps....I just don't understand what is causing this and I'm trying to figure out what could be causing it? and how to control it. I feel like I've turned a corner. I'm wondering if it's just me or is it a pattern....anyone else out there experience the same thing that a 10+ post-op BPD-DS patient? Would love some insight....thank you so much for your help.

HW: 352 / lost 175 lbs - Surgery date: 3/15/2006 / Dr. Michel Gagner

PattyL
on 3/24/17 12:32 pm

Flagyl can be your friend. It's only a problem if you abuse antibiotics. Once in a decade isn't even close to abuse! Sounds like that's what you need. A full course of flagyl followed by some heavy duty probiotics to reintroduce the right bacteria to your gut.

valerina9
on 3/24/17 1:40 pm

Thanks so much Patty for your input...I want to see how Devrom works first before taking the flagyl. The warnings on the bottle scare me! Have you tried Devrom? I start my day nearly every day with a yogurt drink - 6 grams of protein followed by two cottage cheese cups and two string cheese to ensure I am getting protein and good bacteria. I haven't been so great to be honest in taking my 19 pills everyday - I read on here that some sets them up for 2 months at a clip - I could take that advise to make sure I take them but I am wondering if my deficiencies are contributing to the issues I've had as of the last month or two. I know I need another infusion of iron too but the last time I did it - two back to back dosages I thought I was having a heart attack (a rare side effect of too much iron all at once - especially for someone like me who was anemic before my WLS)- it's all so tricky to piece our puzzle together when there isn't a ton of benchmarked information on patients who've had this kind of surgery.... ALL totally worth it but frustrating.

PattyL
on 3/25/17 4:14 pm

Devrom treats the symptom. Not the problem!!!!

FORAN
on 4/1/17 2:27 am - Roslyn , PA

I am 6 years out and suffer from the gas issue my husband feels it's from the eggs but I notice it diet related. I too require iron infusions every 4 to 5 months. They go fine so far no side effects. I also gained just 10 lbs of the 200 I lost. I am ok with that. Still would get this surgery again in a heartbeat wish I had it when in high school.

larra
on 3/24/17 2:12 pm - bay area, CA

The amount of good bacteria in foods like yogurt and cheese is minimal, despite all the ads on TV about how beneficial yogurt is for you. The amount you would get in a good probiotic is exponentially greater and might make a real difference for you.

I'm inclined to agree with Patty that a brief course of flagyl to treat bacterial overgrowth might do a world of good, then follow that with regular use of a real probiotic. Nothing wrong with yogurt, it just isn't nearly enough.

Larra

Beam me up Scottie
on 3/24/17 6:10 pm
Metabolism changes as you age. I gained 20 lbs at about 10-11 years. I had to low carb...but the weight came off..I started exercising again (first time in over 5 years)...and the weight is staying off again.

Your body may just be changing.....and you need to figure out what your trigger food is..and avoid it.

I have found that any gas issues I had in the first year or two......were resolved by avoiding milk products...and too much fat if I'm going to be out in public (I have no idea why...but tuna and mayo will make me toxic).

Scott

Flagyl will work. I wouldn't recommend it long term-other "gas" solutions did nothing for me. Poo Pouri works "ok".
Valerie G.
on 3/25/17 5:36 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

My money, too, is on the gut bugs. I don't take a probiotic pill, but do apple cider vinegar daily and I notice a significant difference in how my body reacts to it.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Ms S.
on 3/26/17 12:11 am

I did experience horrible gas as you described over the holidays thanks to a course of Clindamycin...never experienced gas like that in my entire life. Looked and felt pregnant, scared to eat because of all the gas buildup. You could literally hear my gut start bubbling from the gas...but when I went to the bathroom, most of it was air.

What worked for me was drinking Yakult and taking some probiotic pills from Walgreens until I was done with the Clindamycin. Once it was over, back to eating and drinking as normal. Hope that helps but if you've tried and tried, consider seeing a gastroenterologist. And I agree with Scott on Poo-pourri's ability to cut some of the sting out of the potty issue...Devrom has helped, as has Chlorophyll. Never tried Flagyl - forgot about it but sounds worth a try if necessary.

valerina9
on 3/26/17 6:54 am

OH thank GOD for this blog!!! Thank you THANK you all for your words of wisdom. After reading the last post I realized it may be related to antibiotics- I was really sick for about 2 1/2 months and had to take two rounds of z-pak and wondering if that is a contributor. I have never heard of Poo-pouri but will google it. Thank you for all of the flagella support - I will take it starting tonight before bed bc it says it may cause dizziness.

Min terms of the weight gain - I tend to lean towards body change and getting "of the age" but looking forward to warmer days to get out and about. Funny about the early on gas issues with milk -I had that too - the thought of having a glass of milk wrecked me!! And Tuna and Mayo - they are my friend -broccoli on the other hand hates me! So funny how this journey is different for everyone! Feeling so very thankful for everyone here. Have a great day!!

Most Active
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 56 views
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 56 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 628 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 228 views