High pth and vit d down to 15!

Tufer777
on 3/25/17 9:03 pm

Hi friends,

Trying to decipher how much vit d that I can take at a time without having toxicity issues. I've heard some folks use up to 200,000 ius daily until they get into a more normal range.

my endo and PC are not getting the whole ds thing at all. They just keep recommending silly small amounts.

thx!

Sufia
A grateful DSer forever!
SW 223 CW 132 GW 117-125
Valerie G.
on 3/26/17 7:22 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Vitamin D is absorbed through consuming fat, and we malabsorb 80% of the fat we consume, which means you're not getting around 80% of the vitamin D you've been taking either. That is why we take such godawful amounts. My lowest level was 12, and it took me six months at 100,000 iu of Dry D.

Dry D is important because it's not dispensed in oil like prescription levels of 50,000 iu D. Its water soluble. What's funny is that you don't need a prescription for the Dry D. Biotech is the company that makes it, and you can get if off of Amazon, and even the pharmacy at Walmart (behind the pharmacy counter). If they don't have it on hand (mine usually has two bottles), they can order it from their warehouse and get it within a day or two.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Tufer777
on 3/26/17 12:32 pm

Hi there! I remember you from WAY back when! How are you feeling? I'm sorry your levels got low. I'm curious what your pth levels got to because my vit d was at 15 just now! Yikes! Thx for the advice. Im definitely taking dry a from vitalday- started taking 200,000 as of yesterday. I suspect I will be doing this for a while now!

Sufia
A grateful DSer forever!
SW 223 CW 132 GW 117-125
Valerie G.
on 3/26/17 1:45 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Mine got low by me following doctors recommendations my first year. Fortunately the group of DSers were sharing what they learned, so I knew enough to change things pronto, but as many, I tried to give my doc's wisdom a chance - big mistake!

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

PattyL
on 3/26/17 11:47 am

You don't need to waste even a second worrying about toxicity. You are so low that I think you need an injection plus oral supplementation. Now, as in right away! I know Dr. Keshishian gives them and maybe he can point you in the direction of someone in your neck of the woods who does the same. If not, look into compounding pharmacies in your area and maybe they can send you to someone who does injections.

Seriously, if your D got this low while you were under the care of 2 docs, you need a different doc!

Tufer777
on 3/26/17 12:35 pm

Hi Patty, whilst I don't care to be lynched on this forum, I'm afraid I can't blame this on doctors. Though they are incredibly dull on some of these issues admittedly. It is me me me whom I can blame. Trouble is that I get constipated so badly when I take the indicated amount of calcium that at some point, I just gave up. Even now, I'm nervous. I have purchased magnesium but will need to mess with the amount until I find that delicate balance. My kids are older now, time to put mommy first finally and take the time to make sure I'm around for their future.

Sufia
A grateful DSer forever!
SW 223 CW 132 GW 117-125
PattyL
on 3/26/17 2:13 pm

You still need to get the shot!!!!

Tufer777
on 3/26/17 5:01 pm

A vitamin d shot? I have a message into the Rabkin's office- but if Keshishian is only in Glendale i could conceivably make that happen.

Sufia
A grateful DSer forever!
SW 223 CW 132 GW 117-125
Tufer777
on 4/1/17 10:51 pm

Btw, I got the shot this last Thursday from Dr K! He also gave me a Vit A one. Thx for the advice.

Sufia
A grateful DSer forever!
SW 223 CW 132 GW 117-125
Beam me up Scottie
on 3/26/17 6:07 pm
Magnesium oxide helps with constipation.I take it every night before I go to bed.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 124 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 665 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 234 views