Trying to decide DS or Gastric

starrfleming
on 4/20/17 12:09 pm - NC

Hello, I am 34 and weigh 501 pounds. I had my heart and mind set on getting gastric bypass but when i saw my weight loss surgery dr a few days ago for first visit, he recommended DS over gastric... I am trying to do my research and make my mind up. I honestly dont know much about the DS because i have researched Gastric for so many years. I have read that its the most dangerous weightloss surgery.... Please help me decide. Why did you choose DS over gastric? Thanks in advance ?

larra
on 4/20/17 1:41 pm - bay area, CA

I chose the DS because it has the best statistics of any bariatric surgery for percentage excess weight loss, for maintaining that weight loss (which is crucial) and for resolution of almost all comorbidities. It works well for anyone who qualifies medically for bariatric surgery, but is especially valuable for people with higher bmi's, such as yourself.

The DS also allows for a more normal way of eating than gastric bypass. We need to emphasize protein because we only absorb about half of the protein we eat, but we can use fat freely, which allows for many more food choices and different methods of cooking. With gastric bypass, you have to stick to a low calorie, low carb, low fat diet for life.

The DS also allows people to safely take NSAIDs, which are one of the most commonly prescribed and used drug categories. Even if you don't need them now, you may in the future. With gastric bypass, they are contraindicated for the rest of your life. You are really very fortunate that your surgeon recommended the DS for you. I hope you'll continue your research and not miss out on this very effective operation.

Larra

starrfleming
on 4/20/17 1:46 pm - NC

What is Nsaids? Thank u so much!

PattyL
on 4/20/17 2:14 pm

Google! Asprin, and ibuprofen are 2 of them.

larra
on 4/20/17 2:54 pm - bay area, CA

NSAIDs stands for non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. There are tons of them, both prescription and over the counter, including motrin, naprosyn, aleve, and many more. They are commonly used for arthritis and other joint problems, for headaches, and lots of other reasons. If someone has gastric bypass, this entire group of drugs is contraindicated for the rest of your life.

Larra

PattyL
on 4/20/17 2:13 pm

Your doctor gave you the right advice. The DS is your best hope to lose all the weight and keep it off. There is no wls out there with better results. The DS also allows you to eat more normally.

Back when I had surgery, 10 of my co-workers did too. 1 band, 8 RNY, and 1 DS, me. Today they are all larger than they were preop. I would still like to lose more weight but I look like an average old lady.

Just make sure you have a good DS surgeon and you get a true 2 anastomosis DS.

Beam me up Scottie
on 4/20/17 4:14 pm
I am 6'1'' and weighed almost 500 lbs at the time of my surgery.

I lost 300 lbs and have maintained a weight that hovers around 200 (right now at 195) for the last 11 years. I wanted to lose weight and keep it off....I didn't think I could change my eating long term (and I was right)...I knew I could take vitamins but wanted to eat relatively unrestricted......and I got what I wanted.

Scott
PeteA
on 4/21/17 6:42 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

My surgeon felt that it would allow me to lose more weight overall and had the greatest chance of keeping it off. 4 years out and so far so good. Down about 230 from surgery and over 300 from my high weight.

Dangerous is not the term I would use. It is more complicated than the gastric bypass so fewer surgeons do the DS. Statistically I think there is not much difference in post-op complications between the 2. For me it didn't appear any more dangerous than the bypass and I had no complications.

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Valerie G.
on 4/22/17 2:24 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

The DS is only as dangerous as the level of experience of the surgeon. It IS the most complicated, which is why there aren't as many surgeons who do it. Just like the gastric bypass, you will be required to take many vitamins to stay nutritionally healthy. Our needs are just a little different because we have a higher rate of malabsorption.

It only becomes dangerous if you don't take care of yourself.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Janet P.
on 4/24/17 10:56 am

Can't help you decide but I can tell you about my experiences. I chose the DS because the statistics for maintaining weight loss were the best. The malabsorption you get from the DS is what helps maintain the weight loss. I was 45 when I had the DS. I'm 5'3" and weighed 320 pounds at time of surgery (highest was about 340). I lost all my excess weight in a little over a year and have maintained the weight loss for about 2 years (within 20 pounds of my absolute lowest of 140).

I think the DS is considered "the most dangerous weight loss surgery" for several reasons. Either the surgeon isn't experienced (it is a complicated surgery to perform) and the patient must make the commitment to follow the rules. It's easy to get malnourished or vitamin deficient with the DS if you don't eat properly.

Is your surgeon experienced at the DS? Are you willing to commit to a lifetime of vitamins, getting your labs done, eating properly for the DS (high protein)? If you can answer these questions affirmatively, then you may be a good candidate for the DS.

Any WLS is a tool. They all work. It's a matter of what you're willing to do. WLS is the opportunity to start over (at least it was/is for me). You can learn how to eat properly (healthily for the DS). I don't have to "diet" anymore. Nothing low fat. If I want something I have it. But it's all in moderation. But I'm always focused on protein first. Do I eat ice cream? You betcha. But I may only have a scoop not an entire pint. Do I eat pasta? You betcha. But I measure out one serving. I bake chocolate chip cookies, but will only eat 2-3 at a time.

Good luck with your decision and keep asking questions.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 267 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 742 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 250 views