Future issues

megange1
on 7/16/17 2:57 am

Hi- I'm on this other forum and this past week a lot of people are sharing about osteoporosis and iron deficiencies causing huge issues later in their lives. Is this inevitable for us DSerd or are there lots of people who took their vitamin s and do not have these issues. Just started to freak out a bit.

biggeekgirl
on 7/16/17 7:24 am

What forum? Just curious.

I'm 12 years out but only 40 years old. I guess time will tell on my bones but had I stayed 400+ lbs I'd be in worse shape at 40 with no where near the quality of life.

Surgery on 4/25/05 , Dr. Alverdy in Chicago.  God Bless the DS !!!
Highest Weight = 412lbs, Surgery Weight = 359lbs, Current Weight = 155lbs (5'7" tall)http://www.picturetrail.com/gid8138761
 Lilypie

megange1
on 7/16/17 1:53 pm

It's a private surgeons forum. Thank you! What you said makes total sense!

PattyL
on 7/16/17 10:40 am

Survey says it's all individual. I am a long term postop with no issues at all. Never had an infusion of anything either. I try to check the forums everyday because I promised myself I would try to pay it forward and help others. There are quite a few like me.

A large percentage of the people on these forums are newbies, people researching the DS or WLS in general, and those with issues who need help. Most of us are just out living our lives and you won't hear from us as often as the others.

Sometimes it sounds like we all have issues but the people posting for help are a relatively small percentage of the total. Hope this makes sense!

megange1
on 7/16/17 1:55 pm

Thank you! Wow this made me feel better because it's so logical! I like that you pay it forward. I want to be that person too. I might steal your idea and try to return here once in a pro and try to help people. You truly just helped. Thank you!

Beam me up Scottie
on 7/16/17 3:48 pm
I started with the vitamin regime from vita lady.

I've made Minor Adjustments to the regime over the years, but I've had no major issues.
megange1
on 7/16/17 3:54 pm

That's what I'm doing. I'm doing 1 month of patches just in case they do something until I can stomach all the vitamins.

Janet P.
on 7/17/17 10:40 am

I am 14+ years from my DS and I just turned 60. I was diagnosed with osteoporosis almost 3 years ago. I had a bone density about one year post-op and it was normal (that was my baseline). I get them every couple of years now. I am religious about my vitamins, getting labs done, exercising (not so much lately) eating right, etc. The scans continued to show a downward curve (first normal, then osteopenia, and now osteoporosis). About 3-4 years ago, I had my first reclast infusion, and have had one more since. Last infusion was a year ago and my numbers have stayed the same (not improved but didn't get worse). Could be genetics, but it could also be the DS - I'll never know.

I've also battled anemia on and off for the last 10 years or so. My periods were very heavy and I ultimately had a procedure that stopped my periods, but that didn't really help. I just don't seem to absorb oral iron (no matter how much I take, when I take it - nothing works). I get infusions when needed and assume I'll need to do this forever. Typical infusions last at least 3 years. Latest infusion was with a new drug so when I have labs redone in November I'll see.

Is it because of the DS - I honestly don't know. Would I change anything - absolutely not.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

PeteA
on 7/17/17 10:48 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

It's highly individual.

If you are in a group that has to watch anyway for Osteo issues you need to pay special attention. It's not a foregone conclusion for DS'rs on either front.

There are plenty of people that never have osteo issues. I do think it can be important to watch your lab tests (PTH, calcium, D) related to this if your in a risk group and to get a Dexa scan whenever your Doc thinks it's time to start.

There are a small number of people that seem to not respond to oral iron (for those that need iron at all) and they get infusions. The iron issues are usually not related to non-compliance but to some quirk ( I think ) of their anatomy otr their specific DS.

I've gone back and forth with iron and currently am not taking any. 1500+ per day of calcium.

ILoveFlowers
on 7/17/17 12:51 pm

I worked for a private family practice for several years and our doctor offered the bone density test for his patients 50 and older. I was amazed at the number of men and women that had bone density issues. To look at them, they looked perfectly healthy and you would never know there was an issue. We had one bariatric patient that had the bone density test done and her results were much, much better than the general public, but she kept a very close eye on her vitamin intake. Most people don't worry about vitamins. We do. Our doctor always told his patients that some of it is genetics, but most is diet. If you don't get enough calcium, your body will take it from your bones. Don't freak out, just supplement. Do your part, take care of your body and trust that your body will take care of you. Plus, we monitor our vitamin levels much more closely than the general public. If an issue comes up, it is addressed quickly and will continue to be monitored. This puts you miles ahead of the general populace.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 146 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 688 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 237 views