Sublingual Vitamin Question for my DS Family

QueenBee7
on 7/22/17 3:33 pm
DS on 02/04/14

I went to see the nutritionist on Friday. I got my educational binder with my pre and post surgery instruction.

Quick Question: Anyone know where I can get 50,000 IU Vitamin D3 - and 25,000 IU Vitamin A in SUBLINGUAL form for postop surgery needs?

In addition:

(1) Any suggestions on clear liquids with high protein besides ISOPURE?

(2) Any suggestions on a good and tasty broths?

(3) Cheapest place to purchase decaf K cups for Keurig?

larra
on 7/22/17 4:16 pm - bay area, CA

You don't need to take D or A sublingual. What you do need is the "dry" form, as you won't absorb the usual form, which is packaged in oil. Oil = fat so they aren't well absorbed, since we absorb only about 20% of the fat we consume. You can get the dry D and A (and K also) from Vitalady if she has them in stock, often on Amazon, or shop around for the best deals.

I've been taking the dry D, A, and K for over 11 years and my levels are all good. Just don't be fooled by ADEKs. They sound perfect because they contain all the fat soluble vitamins that we DSers need, but they have so little of each as to be useless (and to fool people into thinking they are getting what they need, when they are not).

Larra

hollykim
on 7/22/17 5:45 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

do you think we also wouldn't absorb sublingual oil since we don't actually swallow it, bit absorbs through the mucus membrane of the mouth?

QueenBee7
on 7/22/17 7:03 pm
DS on 02/04/14

Thanks Larra

In addition to the vitalady supplements for long term use postoperative, I also need the sublingual forms for the first 30 days. My doctor doesn't want me swallowing any pills of any kind.

I have chewable covered for my multivitamins but I still need Vitamin D3 and A.

Valerie G.
on 7/24/17 2:38 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

These pills are teeny tiny, like the size of a benedryl, and won't hurt you. I've never seen sublingual versions of either of those vitamins at all.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

chevtow41
on 7/23/17 5:44 am
DS on 11/11/14

I've never seen them and I've spent a fair amount of time looking at vitamins. I was taking pills before I left the hospital per the surgeon so I don't know what that's about. And to be honest if you truly couldn't get pills in for 30 day you'd survive, especially if you are supplementing pre-op to get your levels up.

who is your surgeon?

QueenBee7
on 7/24/17 12:59 pm
DS on 02/04/14

My doctor is Dr. Elariny. My nutritionist name is Alex. They are both excellent. The Nutritionist is concerned about causing problems inside the intestines during the healing phase if I understood her correctly.

They give you a very detailed instructions binder pre-op. Over the years they continue to modify it based on experience.

I am definitely supplementing preop in hopes of avoiding any early phase deficiencies.

Thanks for your input.

MajorMom
on 7/23/17 6:09 am - VA

Just buy VitaLady's D3 and A or get them same from BioTechPharma and dump the contents out into your protein shakes or herbal tea or whatever you're drinking. I wouldn't add the expense of sublinguals if you can dump the contents of a dry D3, K2, A, etc. into drinks. The only thing I can't stand the taste of are the B vitamins but D3, K2 and A don't have any flavor.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

QueenBee7
on 7/24/17 12:42 pm
DS on 02/04/14

Thanks Gina: I went to The Vitalady website. The sublinguals were a little high priced so I looked up the brand on Amazon. I got 300 micro linguals for $33. Compared to Vitalady it was a deal. Superior Source was the brand. I got it in the mail today.

biggeekgirl
on 7/24/17 5:27 am

You've been given great advice.

You need dry versions.

I take Vita4Life Plus for my multi vitamin. It's easy to swallow capsules and easy to remember as it's all one bottle vs. having a mix and match.

You can easily tweak as well- I've had to add VitaLady's D. When I was pregnant I had to add A and K but always kept my Vita4Life base.

(Bonus you can buy them on Amazon now!)

Surgery on 4/25/05 , Dr. Alverdy in Chicago.  God Bless the DS !!!
Highest Weight = 412lbs, Surgery Weight = 359lbs, Current Weight = 155lbs (5'7" tall)http://www.picturetrail.com/gid8138761
 Lilypie

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 256 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 737 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 244 views