DS FAMILY - I NEED HELP!!!

QueenBee7
on 8/12/17 3:16 pm
DS on 02/04/14

Post Surgery - Stalling, Constipated and now Gaining........

I'm having a little difficulty. I wanted to know if you're constipated will it affect your ability to loose weight? I'm high protein, low carb and maximizing vitamins recommended for this phase.

I'm taking stool softener, mirilax and now Amitizia prescribed by my surgeon.

Anyone experience this? Could this be the reason I've stalled/gained? Is it normal? Any information or knowledge on the subject are greatly appreciated?

MajorMom
on 8/13/17 1:45 am - VA

He's given you the right stuff to help move things along. I had to cut back on calcium because what's on the market now constipates me. I wish Vitalady's supplier had kept her in the calcium market. Her calcium was never a problem. I use the calcium citrate sold by Bio-Tech Pharma, which is pretty close to Vitalady's old Calcium Citrate Only but I still have to be careful. And, like Dr. E says, "you don't poop, you don't lose".

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

biggeekgirl
on 8/13/17 5:05 am

For sure poop weighs and I'm guilty of weighing myself after pooping on purpose.

However - when you lose weight the excess weight also gets breathed out as CO2. Because your cells metabolize the fat. So it's not just pooping it out.

Being constipated is the worst... I take a chelated calcium from Vita4Life and about 600-800mg of magnesium citrate (before bed). If I skip the magnesium my body knows it.

Also, eat leafy greens and low carb veggies - peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans. Fiber is important.

My other suggestion- sudden changes in bowels are worth mentioning to your OB/GYN because it could be hormonal.

Surgery on 4/25/05 , Dr. Alverdy in Chicago.  God Bless the DS !!!
Highest Weight = 412lbs, Surgery Weight = 359lbs, Current Weight = 155lbs (5'7" tall)http://www.picturetrail.com/gid8138761
 Lilypie

QueenBee7
on 8/13/17 7:00 am
DS on 02/04/14

I see my primary care on Wednesday.

I'll try to add some of the green leafy veggies.

Janet P.
on 8/13/17 6:49 am

Are you still taking any pain meds? That's the only time I've never been constipated with my DS, but I also take added fiber and mag citrate every day.

Calcium can definitely cause it, as can iron.

Please forget about the weight loss for a second, because the constipation is directly related to that. Focus on fixing the constipation and the stall will go away.

One more thing - are you drinking enough water or getting enough added fat? These are two critical components of living with the DS, especially the added fat. This is definitely counter-intuitive, especially if you've been living with the sleeve.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

QueenBee7
on 8/13/17 6:59 am
DS on 02/04/14

I've stopped taking pain meds over 1 week ago although initially I thought that was the culprit. I'm not sure if I'm getting enough fat. I'm going to change how I make my protein coffee. I have 1 to 2 daily. I'm going to try to use heavy cream. I'm drinking my water but it's always mixed with crystal light. I assume that's ok. I get another 20oz in my Isopure fruit drink.

Im not taking anything with iron, or magnesium citrate at this time. I think there is some calcium in my multivitamin. I've been trying not to change anything in my vitamin regimen until I fix the constipation.

Janet P.
on 8/13/17 7:12 am

I get most of my "water" with crystal lite too. Definitely use either half and half or heavy cream.

Careful with the "leafy greens". I'm 14+ years post-op and I still have a hard time digesting lettuce and other leafy greens. Remember your plumbing has changed and things that you ate before the DS may not work now. It's all about experimenting. I honestly don't think I ate a salad for the first 6 months after surgery. Please take things slow.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

QueenBee7
on 8/13/17 7:39 am
DS on 02/04/14

Rodger that Janet

Valerie G.
on 8/13/17 8:41 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

You definitely need fat and plenty of hydration to keep things moving. Take every opportunity to add fat that you can think of. Cream in your coffee is a great start. Also, liberally butter, sauce, and gravy everything.

Are you drinking your 64oz minimum?

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

QueenBee7
on 8/13/17 11:36 am
DS on 02/04/14

I've been getting 64oz daily between my Isopure mix and crystal light. I'm going to add 20 extra ounces of plain water mid-day. I had an omelette this morning with peppers and extra olive oil. I'll keep being creative until I get some relief.

What fat % should I target.

SIDEBAR:

My alimentary limb is back to 170cm and now instead of 100cm my common channel is 125. I don't quite understand the jejunojejunostomy anastomosis completely but perhaps that's impacting my malabsorption rate.

Most Active
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 82 views
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 82 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 642 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 233 views