Lapband removal to DS

kaytiebugs
on 9/9/17 3:21 pm - Flowery Branch, GA
  1. Hi all! I had lapband surgery about 8 years ago. It has been empty for 2.5 years due to having issues after my 5yo was born. Everything was too tight. Anyway, I am now heavier than pre-wls. I feel like this is a safe place to say I hate my band. It has given me so much trouble over the years. Nothing terrible. Little things ALL the time. Like even empty I still struggle to burp. Stomach viruses are a nightmare because I cannot vomit and will dry heave until it feels like my eyes are going to pop out. Then I have a sore throats for days.

So. Here's me, fatter than ever (literally) and ready to explore DS.

Has anyone revised from lapband? Is it a more invasive surgery than the DS by itself? Any input on this is appreciated!

airbender
on 9/9/17 7:29 pm

I was a lapband to DS. I had my lapband in 2002, the first in my state, had it removed in 2010 due to numerous severe irreversible complications (erosion, slippage, hiatal hernia, mega esophagus, dysphasia, achalasia, etc. I had to have the lap band removed first then wait 6 months to revise to DS. Is it more invasive than the DS?, that will depend on the damage the lap band has caused you? I would make sure you had a very good surgeon to do your VSG as that is where your damage will be, those lap bands can be some bad buggers. with all that the DS is a "natural" feeling. the lap band i felt that i was being crushed to death. lap band was a miserable quality of life, that is an understatement. you will love your DS...especially after having the lap band...if you have any questions PM me and good luck in your journey

If you have a specific question for me, PM me or I will not see it, as I don't check responses on the forums and don't have anything forwarded to my email.

kaytiebugs
on 9/17/17 7:10 am - Flowery Branch, GA

I don't have any complications right now. What you said makes me really want to do this before it becomes a problem. My only problem now (aside from the whole weight thing lol) is discomfort. Like last night I ate 8 chicken wings and got stuck on an EMPTY band. Throughout the day I have this weird hiccup/burp thing. It's kind of embarrassing. Thanks so much for your input!

How long did recovery take for you?

larra
on 9/11/17 11:43 am - bay area, CA

Lots of people have had their lap bands removed and either went on with life or had revision to a better procedure. The reason for this is that the failure rate for the lap band is the highest of any bariatric surgery. An article I read recently said that, at this point, more health care dollars are being spent removing bands than on putting them in, which does not speak well for this gadget. You are definitely not alone, and should understand that you didn't fail, the band failed you.

Larra

HeavyJ
on 9/17/17 8:47 am - SC

My DS surgeon told me the same thing on my last visit. Lap bands just aren't helping the majority of people that get them. I initially went in for surgery to get one. During the procedure, my surgeon saw some anatomical things inside me that made me not a good candidate, so i woke up the same old me. After researching between the VSG, Gastric Bypass and DS, I chose the DS. The other two seemed more likely to be temporary weight-loss solutions. I only wanted one surgery.

In this forum, the lap band was often pejoratively called "a diet with a choke-collar."

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 148 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 690 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 237 views